Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop - long battery life + gaming capability?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 User2011

User2011

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:59 PM

Hey there.  Looking for a laptop for personal and college usage that falls under this difficult set of criteria:

- Long battery life, long enough to last through a college day (~7-8 hours?  I wouldn't mind buying an extended capacity battery for this if there's an option)

- 1600x900 or 1920x1080 screen resolution, 15" (portable enough to take from home to college twice a week)

- Around ~$1000 or less, basically something that isn't overpriced for the specs I get

- The capability of handling Skyrim at medium settings (I do not plan on gaming under battery power for the most part)

Why am I upgrading?  The laptop I currently have only lasts 4-5 hours on battery under regular usage, has an underwhelming 1366x768 screen, and has an i3.  What should I get, or is this criteria too un-realistic?

Thanks.

Edited by User2011, 31 October 2014 - 04:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 04:03 AM

Under $1000 ain't gonna happen for an high-end industrial grade lappy.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 05:35 AM

If you're willing to go refurbished you might hit your price point.  If you're not in a hurry I'd recommend checking in with Woot! (an Amazon company) daily and checking out their computer deal for sure (today they are desktops), but look through what else they have because it may also fall under their sell out or another category.

#4 User2011

User2011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 05:00 PM

Ok.  What if the criteria was made a little more flexible (eg. $1500 max.etc)?

I've known about and checked Woot already a couple times and I find laptops with either no dedicated graphics, or poor battery life, plus I find it much easier to know and be set on specific models.  I've been doing more research, and I'm still struggling to find a good model

(stressing the requirement of also long "internet browsing/word processing" battery life)

(PS I double-check battery life stats through NotebookCheck under "wifi surfing", aiming for around at least 6 hours)

Edited by User2011, 31 October 2014 - 05:00 PM.

#5 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:40 PM

No, a laptop that matches your criteria does not exist, regardless of your budget.

Nobody wants a gaming laptop with a 15 inch screen, so they don't make them. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure.

Also, you simply can't have gaming stuff *and* a long lasting battery.

My suggestion: get a desktop gaming PC, and a nice portable ultrabook.

Edited by bludshot, 07 November 2014 - 08:42 PM.

#6 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 06:14 AM

I have a 15" gamer laptop. I bought it at http://cyberpowerpc.com I see they even have 14" if that's what you want. I think that's a little small, but hey, some don't.

I've had mine for over a year with no problems, the battery will last between 2-3 hours surfing the net, but when gaming I plug it in due the power a game takes so I don't know how long the battery will last. :blink:

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#7 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 15 November 2014 - 06:58 AM

Asking for a laptop with anything "decent" would even be trouble with 2 grand to blow. If you're going to head to Alienware, I would strongly suggest not to. You'll have a solid month of "supreme" performance, followed by dying motherboards, leaking batteries, exploding CPUs and immense PSU surges.

Gaming laptops are a joke.

mYIGVc5.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users