Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is MSN "BING" a virus?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SAILOR0316

SAILOR0316

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:27 PM

Forum

Border line "Am I infected?  I think this "BING" search engine showed up after MSN changed its format or so it seems,   'Net suggests several ways to remove or delete it (I use a far less visible and nosey search engine than it or Google), but none of the suggestions has gotten rid of "BING" so far.  Then there's a more recent search that calls "BING" a virus.

One other comment says that "BING" gets reloaded via a windows update and if so, don't know which one.  Recommend disallowing MS windows "recommended updates), only allowing the important updates to get through.

So, bottom line, how do I get rid of it whatever it is?

Thanks for your time and help

Sailor0316

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 skyvertex

skyvertex

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:57 PM

bing is microsoft's answer to google.

msn is originally The Microsoft Network.

MSN uses bing as its search engine.

what do you mean by virus?

can you give an example of what is happening to suggest this is a virus?

is it a toolbar?

what anti-virus are you using?

is it up to date?

does it see bing as a virus?

#3 SAILOR0316

SAILOR0316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:34 PM

Skyvertex:

My comment asking if "BING" could be a virus is that I could not find a way to get rid of it. I don't like to be told what programs or in this search engine I need to use and "BING" & (toolbar) take up a lot of screen space. As I pointed out in the original post, I use a seaarch engine that is far less visible than it and Google plus does not gather user data. When I want a search engine I simply open the one I want to use, takes an extra click or two, but I prefer that so I can use the one of my choice.

My antivirus programs are AVG, Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware. I update them every couple of days and rotate them to catch what others might miss. None have identified "BING" as a virus, that was a comment from the 'net, but seemed like maybe could be since I couldn't get rid of it.

sailor0316

Edited by SAILOR0316, 30 October 2014 - 11:50 PM.

#4 skyvertex

skyvertex

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:56 AM

assuming you have the bing bar

from microsoft

Uninstall Bing Bar or Microsoft Silverlight

To uninstall Bing Bar or Microsoft Silverlight from your computer, follow the steps for your operating system.

Windows XP

To uninstall Bing Bar:
  1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. Type appwiz.cpl, and then press ENTER.

3. In the Currently installed programs list, click Bing Bar, and then click Remove.

4. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Windows Vista or later

To uninstall Bing Bar:
  1. Click Start, and then click in the Start Search box.

2. Type appwiz.cpl, and then press ENTER.

3. In the Uninstall or change program list, click Bing Bar, and then click Uninstall.

4. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Edited by skyvertex, 31 October 2014 - 01:52 AM.

#5 skyvertex

skyvertex

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:02 AM

it is unclear as to whether or not you were taliking about an add on or not.in the original post

i was only trying to explain that msn will always have a bing search bar on the page as they are owned by the same company

Edited by skyvertex, 31 October 2014 - 01:03 AM.

#6 SAILOR0316

SAILOR0316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:19 AM

Again, thanks for taking time.

Had tried that before, found that in a search on the 'net

But tried it again, the "BING BAR" is not on the list MS Silverlight is however.

With so many other programs able to torn tool bars on and off, I hope someone knows how to do it or I guess I just will have to go back to CNN, but thanks again

#7 skyvertex

skyvertex

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:52 AM

if this is internet explorer it could be an add on

under

tools--> manage add ons

if you see bing disable it

the hardest part is i can't see what you see, if you could post a screenshot i think it would make fixing this much easier

Edited by skyvertex, 31 October 2014 - 02:57 AM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:42 AM

Border line "Am I infected? I think this "BING" search engine showed up after MSN changed its format or so it seems, 'Net suggests several ways to remove or delete it (I use a far less visible and nosey search engine than it or Google), but none of the suggestions has gotten rid of "BING" so far. Then there's a more recent search that calls "BING" a virus.

When searching for suspicious files, new malware or malware removal assistance (and removal guides) on the Internet, it is not unusual to find numerous hits from untrustworthy and scam sites which mis-classify detections or provide misleading information. This is deliberately done more as a scam to entice folks into buying an advertised fix or removal tool. In some cases if the fix is a free download, users may be enticed to download a malicious file or be redirected to a malicious web site. In other cases you are referred to contact the site's Tech Support for assistance which is only provided for a fee. Do not follow such advice or download any removal tools from unknown or untrusted web sites.

Bing is Microsoft's web search engine. Bing replaced Live Search, Windows Live Search, and MSN Search and is marketed as an alternative to Google.
* About Bing
* How Microsoft Bing Works
* Bing Versus Google: Search Engine Showdown
* Bing vs. Google: Which Search Engine is Best?

Bing Bar is a browser extension toolbar for Internet Explorer developed by Microsoft which uses Microsoft Silverlight technology to provide access to Bing search engine and to content from all MSN channels. Bing Bar is available for Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 and can be downloaded and installed using Windows Update or directly from the bingtoolbar.com.

Unfortunately, the Bing Bar also has been found bundled with other free third-party software you download from the Internet (often without the knowledge or consent of the user). Bundled packages can often be the source of various issues and problems to include Adware, pop-up ads, browser hijacking which may change your home page and search engine, and user profile corruption. As such many of them are classified as Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) and do not fall into the same categories as viruses, Trojans, worms, rootkits and bots.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 SAILOR0316

SAILOR0316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:36 PM

Bleepin' Janitor

Thank you for the information listed above. Have gone to the sites and it describes BING to different degrees and comparisons, but I WANT TO GET RID OF IT !! Is it such an integral part of MSN that I cannot get rid of it? Where is it hiding? Have looked at the list generated when you all up control panel to uninstall programs, IT IS NOT LISTED THERE. Then went to IE, >TOOLS, > MANAGE addons and IT IS ALSO NOT LISTED THERE so I cannot disable it

HOW DO I TRASH IT ??

Thanks for your time and expertise

SAILOR0316

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 05:20 PM

It would be helpful if you could confirmed your issue is with Bing Search, Bing Bar, or Bing Desktop (which I forgot to mention). According to Microsoft, the last two are removable from Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in Control Panel.

Instead of Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, you can also use a third-party utility like Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable which does a more comprehensive job of searching for and removing related registry entries, files and folders. Follow these instructions for using it.

You can also try...Microsoft Fix it: Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter to fix problems with programs that can't be installed or uninstalled
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users