Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Confused about ISO files.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 frascati

frascati

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:47 PM

CDBurnerXP,  ImgBurn, Rufus, etc...

Quite often when attempting to burn a bootable ISO file to DVD  or thumbdrive I encounter the worst frustration trying to identify the "ISO" file from among the many files in an extracted folder.   It's a step that is often missing in tutorials seeming to presume foreknowledge. 

I'm confused enough that I cannot even frame the question adequately.  I've been thoroughly acquainted with the instructions and help files of each of these programs and still unable to identify the most elementary step.... exactly where is the ISO file?  

It is never succinctly named.  Why is that?   There is never a file in a download that is simply labelled "ISO" so that you can click on it and proceed to burn.  In frustration I'll just select the entire extracted contents of a folder hoping that the program will automatically find and burn the ISO image but every time I get error messages.

What am I missing?

Edited by frascati, 30 October 2014 - 08:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:55 PM

Hello, and Welcome

I believe your problem is because XP has a default where file extensions are not shown.

Any iso file will have a file name with an iso extension i.e. program.iso

To show file extensions in XP do the following.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-show-file-extensions-in-windows/#windowsxp

Now when you see files in Computer, they will have the associated extension shown be it .txt, .jpg  etc.

You can download a small iso file of Puppy linux here and use Imgburn to burn the iso to CD. Hope this helps

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 October 2014 - 09:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users