Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cvgurau

cvgurau

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 13 June 2006 - 05:16 PM

I have a couple of empty hard drives (slave drives, I think they're called) that I use to ferry massive amounts of information (3.-something GB for one, 5.9 GB for the other), between the family computer (internet access), and my own POS (no internet access).

Both hard drives have stopped working. The smaller of the two (relatively, I mean. It's physically larger, but has less space) stopped working months ago, and I thought that was that, when, on a whim, I tried the larger to see if it, too, could be used. (I remembered trying before, and it didn't work. I gave it up). It could.

Imagine my delight.

That was some months ago. It hasn't worked in days, and although it's no great loss (except that I can no longer transport music, movies, comics, et al), I want to fix it, if possible, and if it's at all possible, I'd like to do so without losing the information already on there (story back-ups, and whatnot).

The smaller of the two (again, as it relates to disk space) also has some stuff on it, but honestly, it's been so long since it stopped functioning, I'm not sure I remember what it holds. Regardless, I'd like the chance to recover whatever's on there.

Any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wektech

wektech

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 13 June 2006 - 05:19 PM

Exactly how did it stop working? Is it recognized by bios?

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 13 June 2006 - 05:20 PM

Go to the manufacturer's website and download their disk utility to check the hard drive out:

• Fujitsu "FJDT" DOWNLOAD Works with fujitsu models only.
  • Hitachi / IBM - DFT "Drive Fitness Test" DOWNLOAD Works with all manufacturers.
  • Maxtor "Powermax" DOWNLOAD Works with all manufacturers.
  • Samsung "hutil" DOWNLOAD Compatability unknown.
  • Seagate "Seatools" DOWNLOAD Works with Seagate drives only.
  • Toshiba - N/A There are no tools available for Toshiba, but you may be able to use IBM or Maxtor's.
  • Western Digital "Data Lifeguard" DOWNLOAD Works with WD drives only.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2006 - 09:47 AM

Are the drives recognized by the computer that they're installed in? If so, try this free recovery utility: http://www.pcinspector.de/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 cvgurau

cvgurau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2006 - 06:00 PM

No, that's the thing. I plug it in, start up the computer, and it isn't recognized. Depending on which computer it's plugged into, it's either Drive D or F, but now the icons don't show up.

Edited by cvgurau, 14 June 2006 - 06:00 PM.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:32 PM

Do you have them connected to the correct position on the IDE cable (middle connection), and are the jumpers set for secondary or slave with the jumper on the master set to primary or master?

#7 cvgurau

cvgurau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 12:33 AM

Say what?

I connect the power, then the cable, and all else is left alone. The first time I did this (oh so long ago), it worked fine and I saw no need to meddle with anything else.

Now it's stopped working, and I haven't messed with any such thing.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:22 AM

Is the drive recognized by the BIOS when you first start the computer (the black and white screen as the system first boots - before Windows loads)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 03:00 PM

I think we're having a terminology problem. It sounds as if what you're talking about is external drives, not slave drives. I would then assume that they connect via a USB cable. So then, perhaps it's not the drives that quit working, but the USB port? Am I getting close?

When asked how you connect the cables, it was assumed that you were connecting internal slave drives, which simply means that the main drive C: is the master, and another drive added to an IDE cable is the slave, as determined by jumpers and position on the IDE cables. But external drives do not follow the same rules as IDE drives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users