Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cured the illness but the patient died!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Harris1965

Harris1965

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:33 PM

Recently (with Bleeping Computer's help and guidance) we spent several weeks nursing a 4 yr old hp pavilion through some trying times...in the end, two HDDs needed to be replaced and the system restore CDs used to restore the PC to it's former glory.

A month later, it seems the patient has succumbed to defective video socket on the motherboard.

So, if I harvest the "organs," 650 power source, 2TB HDD and video card and maybe memory and buy a new HP Pavilion (MOST LIKELY WITH WINDOWS 8.1!!) for $400 -$500, how do I "tell" this new computer to ignore that OS (and make that HDD secondary) and simply let the "old" 2TB HDD take over with the "old" windows & OS and all our previously transferred files?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 04:01 AM

What's the OS of the old PC?

But seriously, if you want to keep the old PC around it's better to replace the MB and use it as backup to a new PC.

#3 Harris1965

Harris1965
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:01 AM

You miss the point... I've got a couple hundred dollars tied up in relatively new hardware that I don't like to use in a $400-$500 pc. How can I use Windows 7 on old pc 2tb had on new PC eith8.1?

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:21 PM

If Windows 7 was installed with the System Restore CD you cannot legally transfer that license to a new machine.  You would have to purchase a new copy of Windows 7.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users