Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad performance - PSU/GPU? Help Please!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Foul_Play

Foul_Play

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:50 PM

Ok my computer has developed a bad fault which has been driving me MAD!

So heres the specs:
AMD FX-8120
8gig ram
MSI R7850
2TB Sata 6 drive
Traktor audio 6
antec earthwatts EA430-D

This PC has been running for the past 2 years with no issue that is until it started acting up recently. The problem occurs in bf4 and extends to the windows 7 desktop.

I can play bf4 with no issue for about 5 minutes before the cpu fan (im pretty certain) throttles down and there is a high pitch scream which I cant figure out if its coming from the PC or the speakers. Bf4 will give me about 5 fps whilst this occurs, wont recover and I'll quit back to windows and the PC will recover after about 5 minutes. It will be generally sluggish in windows, browsing etc. It tends to hang for a split second when closing windows and saving documents etc. It NEVER crashes just performs badly.

I replaced a hard drive as it was on the way out and I thought this could be the problem. Although this helped the running of the PC generally it hasn't fixed my Bf4 woes and there is a noticeable lack of performance in windows since this sound/problem has occurred. I have put the PC under load in windows using prime95 and it throttles down, screams and really struggles like bf4. I have tried to monitor whats going on under load and idle etc with HWMonitor (and the likes) but alots of the readings are wrong. I'm no expert but after reading similar threads people suggest psu/gfx.

Can anyone help me to get to the bottom of this, its driving me mad!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 larry300boom

larry300boom

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:12 PM

This is my guess for the fault you say:
1. Check for malware/virus/worm/adware. This is one of the big problems.
2. Check for CPU/GPU is been overheated. Overheated CPU/GPU may cause the computer to run slow and laggy.
3. Free space in the HDD/SSD (Hard Disk Drives/Soild State Drive). Delete all your junk files, uninstall all the the program that you don't use every week/day.
4. Motherboard problems.
5. Graphic/Sound card conflict/problems.

#3 Foul_Play

Foul_Play
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 04:29 AM

1. No worms or viruses. I have reformatted and wiped everything 4 times now.
2. GPU temp sits at about 70 degrees c and CPU sits about 85 degrees c under heavyload.
3. Hard drive is 2TB and is empty apart from bf4.
4. How do I test the motherboard?
5. Gfx/soundcard have been working well together for over two years. Since reformatting so many times I didnt even install the soundcard drivers or have it plugged in to the pc. I can always here static through my speakers - with the soundcard plugged in or not. Its always been like that. My ears are very bad and when I unplug the soundcard/speakers I cant tell if the high pitch whine is there or not. My guess is the whine is coming from gfx/cpu/psu fan.

#4 Foul_Play

Foul_Play
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2014 - 03:36 PM

I have monitored it for a few days now using a combination of prime95 and speedfan/hwmonitor/Hwininfo64. Only running one of the latter at a time as I hear this can effect the readings. I found speedfan to be the most accurate on my system after quickly going back to bios and comparing the readings regarding the CPU temp.

Underload (prime85 running on stress test) I get,
Temp1 - 30c (system overall temperature?)
Temp2 - 70c (not sure what reading this is but it tends to be the highest) - Burning symbol
Temp3 - 66c (not sure what this is either) - Burning symbol
HD0 - 33c (I'm guessing this is hard drive)
GPU - 24c (Graphics card I guess)
Core - 55c (CPU temp at a guess - I read these AMD FX-8120 are good to about 60c)

On idle (sat in windows with minimal apps open, just speedfan drivers etc)
Temp1 - 30c
Temp2 - 52c
Temp3 - 42c
HD0 - 35c
GPU - 32c
Core - 32c

Just before I ran this particular test I changed a setting in the bios which auto controlled the CPU Vcore voltage with regards to temperature. I guess when the CPU is hot, it drops the vcore voltage to cool it down? Anyways I DISABLED this and it seems to run alot better in windows, I haven't tested any games yet. Before I disabled this setting the PC was choking massively i.e 2-3 minutes opening a browser window, big hangs when closing windows etc

I have ordered a good quality heatsink and fan as I hear the stock ones are naff and I'll get that in a few days.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,563 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2014 - 05:57 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#6 Foul_Play

Foul_Play
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:23 PM

I think I've fixed it by stipping it down and hooving out the dust. The stock cooler is a poor design and the heat sink was clogged with dust. I think it was a heat issue. I haven't turned it off but when I do I will check the bios as I think that auto vcore/temp setting was strangely running too hot. I did notice when it was on auto, the vcore was running at 1.4 and I have seen suggestions of playing around with this setting can aid with temperature control. I'm not going to bother in this instance as it seems to be under control at the minute and if I don't want to potenitally damage the system as I'm not too confident with bios settings. But if anyone else is having similar issues that would be my next port of call.

Edited by Foul_Play, 01 November 2014 - 08:25 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,563 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for letting us know, happy computing :).

Louis

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 02:57 AM

I got filters in my dekstop case and I still have to clean it often. Taking the fan off the cpu heatsink and there is always thick layer of dust packed on there like a layer of tissue. When this happens on all fans, filters, heatsinks, psu unit grills etc it causes less airflow and less airflow means more heat build up throughout the system. You have to open the case and knock all that dust out of there and blow it off. I cut the handle in half on a toohbrush makes it easier to get in there and scrub the heatsink fins without removing the heatsink, but only the fan. It works good for scrubbing the case fans too without removing them, then blast them with air. Be sure to wear a protective dust mask and eye protection. The dust inside there can make you ill.

Edited by technonymous, 02 November 2014 - 02:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users