Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

black screen with colored lines?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 vee210

vee210

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:11 PM

Hi, im having a problem with my computer. It works fine at times and then all of a sudden it will go to a black screen with red lines going down. Or sometimes white colored lines. Once it happens it keeps on doing it. Like right now it happened. Red lines going down. I shut it down let it rest and started up again. After i put my pw in it didnt go to desktop it when straight to a black screen. I shut it down let it rest again & instead of showing desktop on startup it went straight to black screen with baby blue lines. Its turned off now resting again. What should i do now?

Edited by hamluis, 31 October 2014 - 08:41 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 vee210

vee210
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:50 PM

Has started up and running okay so far.
Update: it went to black screen w red lines going down. And on startup the desktop didn't show it went to a black screen with white faded lines moving all over and blue faded lines coming down and moving like the white lines but side to side.

It says my video card is up to date. I dont think its the monitor. Ive noticed in safe mode the consumer ir device has a yellow exclamation point. But when i start windows and go to device manager everything seems to be up to date and running fine. I havent been able to fulling scan avast or malwarebytes wout it going to a black screen with red lines

Edited by vee210, 30 October 2014 - 05:22 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:40 AM

IME...lines on the monitor will signify a RAM or video problem of some type.

Moving topic to Internal Hardware for comments.

Louis

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,711 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 10:29 AM

Unless you are using an infrared remote control with this computer I wouldn't worry about the consumer IR device issue.

What is the make and model of this computer?

If the operating system you are running isn't what was originally installed, please list what you are now running.

When you state that your video card is up to date, do you mean that the drivers are up to date?

If you have another monitor or one you can borrow it would be worth trying it to make sure the issue isn't with the monitor.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 vee210

vee210
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 03:17 PM

I'm using a HP Pavillion Dv5 it came with Windows Vista But I had switched to windows 7 last year. So now my hp is running windows 7.
Yes I mean the drivers are all up to date. Sorry for the typo. No I do not have another monitor. I've left it off all night. Just turned it on about hour ago. So far it has not went to those screens.

Unless you are using an infrared remote control with this computer I wouldn't worry about the consumer IR device issue.

What is the make and model of this computer?

If the operating system you are running isn't what was originally installed, please list what you are now running.

When you state that your video card is up to date, do you mean that the drivers are up to date?

If you have another monitor or one you can borrow it would be worth trying it to make sure the issue isn't with the monitor.

#6 vee210

vee210
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:53 PM

Still having the same problem.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,711 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:54 PM

Was this installation of Windows 7 an upgrade?

Is this the 32-bit or 64-bit version?

You can find the Windows 7 drivers at the HP Software and Drivers downloads.

You will have to choose the correct version of Windows 7 you have installed, then the downloads will appear.  Click on the Graphics driver.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 vee210

vee210
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:27 PM

Yes it was an upgrade.32bit.
My laptop used to run windows vista until i upgraded.
I had my brother in law look at this weeknd.He says its running fine. The lines didn't show up when he had it.
i did show him that i cant open network connections center or uninstall a program. Or update avast updates without it saying windows has stopped working. He tried to do a system restore but he said that when my teacher upgraded my laptop that he (teacher) deleted something with the end restore option. So theres like a hold on system somewhere? My bro says i need to get vista disc and install itback. Now that my bro has left now the lines have reappeared.
I am searching for a windows vista disc now.

Edited by vee210, 06 November 2014 - 09:37 PM.

#9 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:28 PM

Go to somewhere where there is another monitor and try to get the laptop to have the lines on the screen and then see if they are also on the external monitor. This will tell you if it's the screen or not.

Also, next time it does the lines, try wiggling the screen open and closed a few inches, see if you can affect the way it looks. If you can it suggests a loose connection to the screen inside the laptop.

#10 vee210

vee210
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:22 AM

Tried another monitor. It works fine. 

Go to somewhere where there is another monitor and try to get the laptop to have the lines on the screen and then see if they are also on the external monitor. This will tell you if it's the screen or not.

Also, next time it does the lines, try wiggling the screen open and closed a few inches, see if you can affect the way it looks. If you can it suggests a loose connection to the screen inside the laptop.

#11 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:06 AM

I think that the screen is faulty, or the cable inside the laptop is loose, half broken, or something. I would just take it to a shop. They can open it up and see if it is a quick fix or if you need to buy a new screen. If you need a new screen then you have to decide whether to put the money to that, or to a new laptop.  This is my opinion, I feel about 80% confident in it, so it would be good to see what the other guys think.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,711 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:04 AM

bludshot's heart is in the right place, but his suggestion isn't realistic.  Repair shops average around sixty dollars an hour (unless you go some place like Best Buy who has a set price of close to two hundred dollars), so you would probably spend at least sixty dollars just for them to tell you it would be cheaper to purchase a new monitor.  The fact is that you can purchase a new monitor for around $75.00 US dollars.

#13 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:04 AM

Yeah, true

So, let me revise: You can take it to a shop to fix it, and you will have to pay some money and they will either fix it (loose cable etc), replace the screen, or tell you that there is a problem with the main part of the laptop which means it cannot be fixed. So it's a gamble if they are going to charge you just to tell you that it's the laptop and not the screen. I assume you would not be comfortable and/or able to install a new screen yourself which is why I mention a shop.  Or you could buy a cheap monitor and just use that if that is good enough for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users