Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Roaming profiles on external drive.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 badgermilk

badgermilk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:07 PM

I have a server 2003 AD environment with 5 clients in the domain. When I took over the network I realized the previous IT person had created an IP based external drive for the roaming profiles, my issue is this;

Each time I have to upgrade any component of the server that requires a restart, I have problems logging into the server with the admin account. It forces me to use a local account because it can’t load the admn profile. In the past this has resolved its self but now its stuck this way. I tried power cycling the external with no result. Is there a procedure for a correct restart with external drives or a command to initiate the external profiles? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

updated with server erros:

event id 1505 source: userenv user: administrator

event id 1508 source: userenv user: system

Also the external is RAID 1 configuration. Question? If one of the drives fails will the other drive maintain the profiles functioning? or does this drive need to be replaced for the roaming profiles to be accessible?

update:

The external drives in RAID 1 configuration have one drive listed as failed and the other working drive is full at 911.38Mb and has only 20Kb of space left. This was causing an error at logon on the server that there were insufficient resources available to load the admin profile, so it loaded a local profile. I suppose the only benefit of having an external roaming profiles is to have a separate device loading the profiles therefore not burdening the server. Thanks for links sflatechguy….maybe this post will help others in the future. I’ll update later when I have the drive replaced.

Edited by badgermilk, 30 October 2014 - 05:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:50 PM

Best thing to do is create the roaming profiles on a server in the domain environment. Not sure why the previous tech created them on an external drive.

This link might help in recovering them, as it has some basics involving on to set up roaming profiles on external drives:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/6945931f-36c1-4ee8-9717-e4b9b7d8c972/synced-profiles-in-windows-7-without-server?forum=w7itpronetworking

#3 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 02:40 AM

...update:

The external drives in RAID 1 configuration have one drive listed as failed and the other working drive is full at 911.38Mb and has only 20Kb of space left. This was causing an error at logon on the server that there were insufficient resources available to load the admin profile, so it loaded a local profile...

Replacing the drive will restore fault tolerance in your disk array but will not resolve a disk full issue (Raid 1 has two disks, each holing a copy of the same information, in case one of them fails). [also have you got your numbers right? - they look odd]

If the previous admin moved data (incl profiles) off of the server due to disk space issues, then maybe at least your admin account's profile local.

Of course you will then still have disk space issues. What disks do you have in the server - Just that raid 1 array? - what size ARE the disks?

Treesize ( http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/ ) Can scan your drives and tell you how the disk space is used. If the server has not been maintained in a while you may find some old log or temporary files that can be removed, or some software or data  that you no longer need, taking space. At least cleaning that up that you would give you some breathing space... You'll probably fill that space up fairly soon though...

Bear in mind that Windows 2003 Server will no longer receive security updates after next July, (which is when when Microsoft will retire the last dregs of support for it). You may want to factor that into your calculations about that into your strategy. Is it worth spending money on disks for the existing server, or is it time to replace it.....

x64

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users