Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Bought Reinstallation media for windows 8

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 peej03

peej03

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:55 AM

Hi.  I saved up and bought a pretty good spec computer, almost 2 years ago.  It came with windows 8 already installed in it.  I decided to try to install linux to see how fast it would go on it as I thought reinstalling windows 8 would be easy, But when I installed linux ubuntu it completely wiped the hard drive partitions and I could not reinstall windows 8.  I did not have a clue how to get windows 8 back so I went to ebay and bought ''Windows 8 repair and reinstallation media'' for 10quid.  It worked a treat although when installing it was asking me for my product key.  I could not find the product key in any of the boxes that I got my new computer in, and it was on no stickers on the computer.  So after the install I found a program that could pull the OEM Product key from the BIOS or where ever it was. And it worked a treat.  After this I went to microsoft website and ask them in live chat to confirm if this was my product key and if my windows activation was genuine.  They agreed that it was the right product key my computer came with and everything was genuine.   Lately Ive been a bit paranoid though as I do a lot of online banking and share dealing on my computer - wondering if whoever this random person was who sold me the repair media may have edited some of the windows files on the disc and when it was installing windows could have left it with rootkits or viruses or anything nasty.  Or is that impossible?  Anyone have any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,013 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:34 PM

Can you post a picture of the installation disc?

Is this disc for a OEM computer, or is the disc a retail copy?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 peej03

peej03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 02:25 PM

Its just a bought DVD that a random person has made his own repair media and stuck a white sticker over it saving one disc one solution

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users