Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

onboard sound vs internal sound card

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ducksoup

ducksoup

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:57 AM

Installed a Creative Soundblaster card and it automatically disables the onboard sound and when looking on recording devices Realtek doesn't show. Can I go into the BIOS screen and re-enable onboard audio (providing it allows me to) and will the Realtek HD Audio once again appear in recording devices along with the "what you hear" option the Soundblaster sets up when installing the soundcard ?  Basically, can you have both Realtek and Soundblaster show in recording devices at the same time and have the option to disable one when your not using it ? 

The sound card I'm using is the Soundblaster Audigy RX 7.1. 

Thanks for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:33 PM

Hi, what does the onboard audio have that your new Creative soundcard does not offer in features? Just curious of your question posted. :)

Tekken

#3 ducksoup

ducksoup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:44 AM

If you have a headphone and mic attached to it on board Realtek has the ability to simultaneously let you utilize both without having to switch from the "what you hear" or in this case stereo mix to the mic. Allows you you to enable the stereo mix as primary and use the mic as the secondary at the same time.  The Soundblaster will not let you enable both at the same time, so basically you can't do any on-line DJ'ing.   

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:59 PM

I believe there are 2 ports for speaker/headphones and mic for the sound card. Did you check the Control Center for your sound card and with the DJ software settings just in case?

Tekken

#5 ducksoup

ducksoup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:09 PM

yes i have checked both mic jacks in back and the one in the front with headphones attached. They all operate the same. When the "what you hear is enabled, the mic attached to the headphone becomes unavailable or disabled.  

Thanks by the way for getting back to me on this. I'm working on a solution, but its probablly not going to work.  My BIOS is set to automatic for onboard audio.  Can I re-enable it and possibly get the option to use the Realtek through the rear headphone and mic port.  When I was using the onboard sound I was able to get what I'm trying to do.  

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:44 PM

yes i have checked both mic jacks in back and the one in the front with headphones attached.

I believe there are 2 ports for speaker/headphones and mic for the sound card.

The control settings for your sound card would give all the mic, speaker and headphone settings. Did you check the manual? Both mic and jack should only be attached to the Creative sound card. I believe the sound card driver is already installed.

Tekken

#7 ducksoup

ducksoup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:47 PM

Yes I have checked the manual.   Im guessing the answer that I can't enable the realtek and disable the sound card at will.    I guess what I'm trying to do is not possible with this particular sound card.    

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,859 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:28 PM

It can sometimes be possible to get this to work, but very dependent on how capable and co-operative each piece of hardware is. Creative is not renowned for being co-operative with other hardware, and it's a bit of an unknown whether the onboard sound implementation will have the capacity.

In general terms what you'd need to do would be allocate non-standard resources (port addresses and IRQs) for one of the sound devices. This can be tedious to get to work properly, if it can be done. At the least, if the onboard sound will allow enable with a second card there, you'd probably need to uninstall the Realtek driver, modify the all the BIOS settings for the sound device and reinstall the driver.

Have you considered trying an external USB sound device - there will probably be less clashing that way.

Edited by Platypus, 03 November 2014 - 05:32 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 ducksoup

ducksoup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:07 PM

Not considering at this point an external card. I just got the internal one like 2 weeks ago.  The sound i better with the card however it does have its limitations.   I never uninstalled the driver for Realtek so it should still be there.  Either Creative or windows disables the Realtek automatically when it sees a new piece of hardware like the new sound card.  I think however if I use the condenser mic attached to the Logitech 9000 webcam I have I can get the stereo mix and mic to work at the same time.  Didnt realize that unitl I was fooling around with different variations of trying to enable devices through the recording device settings 

Thanks for your answer, I appreciate very much    If I did get an external card I was looking at the Soundblaster Omni.  Do you know if that is any good ?

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:31 AM

and when looking on recording devices Realtek doesn't show.

Not sure if it would help but can you right-click any blank space within the recording tab properties and see any Show disable device? Is what you hear for Audio or recording output?

Tekken

#11 ducksoup

ducksoup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:16 AM

With the creative sound card installed, the "what you hear" is replaces the realtek stereo mix when you show all the disabled devices in recording tab, so I assume when the sound card is installed it in a way disables the realtek on board sound.  I went into the device manager clicking on the sound, video and game controllers, the Realtek does not show there either. The only thing that is there is the soundblaster audigy rx card and my NVIDIA graphics.  I assume if i pull the sound card the realtek will once again show there because I have not uninstalled the driver for it.  The soundblaster seems to hide Realtek when it is installed into the PC.   So I would like to know is there a way to show both the Realtek and the soundblaster card in both the recording device tab and on device manager or does the computer automatically hide one when the sound card is installed ?

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,859 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:42 AM

That will depend on exactly how the hardware operates in your particular system. Two pieces of hardware cannot operate using the same hardware IRQs and port addresses, but once Windows is in control, it can steer virtual IRQs and allocate virtual ports. If the Creative soundcard demands the default IBM PC resources, and the mainboard BIOS is programmed to disable the onboard sound if this happens, the Realtek sound will turn off and Windows will therefore not find it when it boots up.

Old soundcards used to have physical jumpers you could move to change the resource allocations, modern cards normally do not. In the BIOS setup there is possibly an operating mode selection for the sound, if it's set to Auto with a manual option, then the board usually turns the onboard chip off when a soundcard is fitted. If there's a manual option, when this is selected you can choose to set the onboard resources off the defaults, leaving them free to be claimed by the other soundcard. Windows may then find the Realtek chip at the new addresses, or it might be necessary to re-install the Realtek driver.

Alternatively, it might be possible to manually reassign resources in the Creative driver, so it's the one that leaves the default settings available, but I wouldn't expect Creative to be that helpful, and I think to do that the card would need its settings held in flash ram (i.e. be a reasonably advanced card) so it didn't clash with the onboard chip before Windows booted up. An Audigy may fall into this category.

Edited by Platypus, 04 November 2014 - 09:48 AM.

#13 ducksoup

ducksoup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:49 AM

thanks     I checked the BIOS and it is set to auto,,,,,,If i can reset it to enable for on board audio would this help ?  Im not looking to use both the onboard and soundblaster at the same time i just want to know if i can show realtek and soundblaster in the recording device tab at the same time giving me the option of enabling and disabling one or the other or at least being able to go to device manager and disabling one or the other and using either one ?

#14 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,859 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:52 AM

If the onboard has the option to set a manual enable then it is possible it could work as you hope.

#15 ducksoup

ducksoup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:55 AM

thank you very much   i appreciate your help  will give it a try   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users