Hello everyone! This is my first post Hopefully you guys are able to assist me with this annoying issue I am having.
I recently upgraded to a Nighthawk x6 router. Everything runs great, fast wifi for 13 devices, Magic Jack Ethernet model works great, the connection between my router and my gigabyte Ethernet switch is running at 1GBPS (The light is white which indicated 1gpbs and through speed tests) with 100% up time so far, my wired Roku 3 works great along with my network HD that are all connected to that switch.
My issue comes with my Window 8.1 PC that I built about 3-4 years ago. When I am using the PC, downloading items, surfing the web it shows a 1 GBPS connection in the Ethernet status window. My router also has a white light lit up for that port which indicates a 1 GBPS connection along with speed tests. I've had a few instances where the connection drops to limited connectivity and the internet stops work but that is far and few between.
Ethernet Card Model: Marvell 88E8057
What happens is that when my computer activates "Turn off the display" after however many minutes I have it set for, the connection drops to 100 MBPS. The router confirms this with a orange light instead of a white light. Also, when I jiggle my mouse to get the display back on it shows 100 MBPS but then jumps back to 1 GBPS under Ethernet status. I want to fix this issue because when I am downloading items and the display turns off I don't want my speeds to be bogged down especially if I am sending data to my network HD and downloading item's for an extended amount of time.
Here are details on the Ethernet run:
From the router to the wall jack is 100 ft Cat 5e, wall jack is Cat 5e, from the wall jack to my UPS is Cat 5E and from the UPS to the PC is Cat 5E.
What I have done so far to try and solve the issue:
- Ran a temp Cat 5e cable from the router to the PC
- Tried both Ethernet ports on the back of my MB
- Updated drivers (2013 last update)
- Tried different router port
- Went into power settings and changed everything to max power, no option for ethernet or network card
- Went through all the router settings and there was no power option (The network switch stays at 1GBPS 100% of the time)
- Turned off "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" under power management under properties
- Speed and Duplex is set to Auto Negotiation as there is nothing above a setting for 100 MBPS - I wonder if the network card below would fix this problem.
I'm out of options, the furthest I've gotten is that when I turn off "Turn off the display" or set it to never, it seems to stay at 1 GBPS so far in my tests.
Any idea's or suggestions would be appreciated. At this point I'm ready to order the card linked below and see if it gets me anywhere.
Edited by jkendt1989, 30 October 2014 - 10:05 AM.