Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet connection dropping from 1GBPS to 100 MBPX with Turn Off the display

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jkendt1989

jkendt1989

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:56 AM

Hello everyone! This is my first post  :hello:  Hopefully you guys are able to assist me with this annoying issue I am having.

I recently upgraded to a Nighthawk x6 router. Everything runs great, fast wifi for 13 devices, Magic Jack Ethernet model works great, the connection between my router and my gigabyte Ethernet switch is running at 1GBPS (The light is white which indicated 1gpbs and through speed tests) with 100% up time so far, my wired Roku 3 works great along with my network HD that are all connected to that switch.

My issue comes with my Window 8.1 PC that I built about 3-4 years ago. When I am using the PC, downloading items, surfing the web it shows a 1 GBPS connection in the Ethernet status window. My router also has a white light lit up for that port which indicates a 1 GBPS connection along with speed tests. I've had a few instances where the connection drops to limited connectivity and the internet stops work but that is far and few between. 

Ethernet Card Model: Marvell 88E8057 

Mother Board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188073

What happens is that when my computer activates "Turn off the display" after however many minutes I have it set for, the connection drops to 100 MBPS. The router confirms this with a orange light instead of a white light. Also, when I jiggle my mouse to get the display back on it shows 100 MBPS but then jumps back to 1 GBPS under Ethernet status. I want to fix this issue because when I am downloading items and the display turns off I don't want my speeds to be bogged down especially if I am sending data to my network HD and downloading item's for an extended amount of time.

Here are details on the Ethernet run:

From the router to the wall jack is 100 ft Cat 5e, wall jack is Cat 5e, from the wall jack to my UPS is Cat 5E and from the UPS to the PC is Cat 5E. 

What I have done so far to try and solve the issue:

• Ran a temp Cat 5e cable from the router to the PC
  • Tried both Ethernet ports on the back of my MB
  • Updated drivers (2013 last update)
  • Tried different router port
  • Went into power settings and changed everything to max power, no option for ethernet or network card
  • Went through all the router settings and there was no power option (The network switch stays at 1GBPS 100% of the time)
  • Turned off "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" under power management under properties 
  • Speed and Duplex is set to Auto Negotiation as there is nothing above a setting for 100 MBPS - I wonder if the network card below would fix this problem.

I'm out of options, the furthest I've gotten is that when I turn off "Turn off the display" or set it to never, it seems to stay at 1 GBPS so far in my tests. 

Any idea's or suggestions would be appreciated. At this point I'm ready to order the card linked below and see if it gets me anywhere. 

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TG-3468-1000Mbps-Gigabit-Express/dp/B003CFATNI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1414680628&sr=8-2&keywords=ethernet+card

Edited by jkendt1989, 30 October 2014 - 10:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jkendt1989

jkendt1989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:39 AM

Quick update, I have the turn off monitor feature disabled and I am connecting to my home computer from work Via splash top, downloading 7 torrents. One is over 1MB/s and the other 6 are around 500 KB/s some higher and others a little lower. I am sending 18 gigs to my network HD at 21 MB/s and browsing the web on that computer. Also did an internet speed test and it's showing about 120 download and 12 upload.

All of that shows the 1.0 GBPS is working 100% along with  the status showing that.

I'd really like to have "Turn of display" active though as it would save on power and help my monitors if I forget to shut them off. 

Edited by jkendt1989, 30 October 2014 - 10:43 AM.

#3 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:03 AM

The next step is to try a discrete NIC, so you're on track.

#4 jkendt1989

jkendt1989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:38 AM

Thank you for the advice, I was 1 second away from ordering it last night! 

Quick Update:

I got a very bad limited connectivity last night after multiple power cycles. Rebooting the router and PC had not affect and even renewing the IP address did not help. When I finally got rid of the no connectivity my network speeds on that computer were cut by 3/4.

I ended up bypassing the UPS and just going from the wall connection straight to my PC. The speeds came back instantly and have had zero problems so far! I'm going to keep testing it with it not going to the UPS and only to my PC. I am also going to try new Ethernet cables for the UPS and see if that helps.

Have any of you guys heard of a UPS disturbing a network when it's run through one? My old modem gave me zero problems, but that one was only 10/100. I wonder if my UPS can't support Gigabyte. Nothing in their manual tells me the answer. I also noticed when I bypassed the UPS my network speeds increased even more! 

Any thoughts would be appreciated! 

Also, are discrete NIC known to be better than on board ones? 

I am thinking too that I may just run Cat 6 all the way to the PC and leave out the UPS. Somehow that UPS (It's a back up battery and power surge) is not playing nicely with the gigabyte speed. It's like the router and PC are trying to do 1 GBPS and the UPS is confusing the communication between the two. 

Edited by jkendt1989, 31 October 2014 - 08:50 AM.

#5 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:48 AM

Regarding the UPS;  I suppose it's possible the UPS may be causing some RFI.

Regarding the NIC;  My main gripe with on-board Ethernet is it's fragility. Seems like every MB I've had, the integrated Ethernet fails within 2 years and I have to put in a NIC.

#6 jkendt1989

jkendt1989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:50 AM

Regarding the UPS;  I suppose it's possible the UPS may be causing some RFI.

Regarding the NIC;  My main gripe with on-board Ethernet is it's fragility. Seems like every MB I've had, the integrated Ethernet fails within 2 years and I have to put in a NIC.

Does the UPS not sound like an actually culprit? I just find it ironic that my speeds have been down 3/4 with the UPS and limited connectivity and when I bypass it I get faster speeds and a solid connection. When I get home today I'm going to try new cables with the UPS and see if that is the problem. If not, it's 100% the UPS IMO. 

#7 jamesandrew

jamesandrew

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:19 PM

i think first you use an ethernet pedia and also take some information on it then you solve many difficulties related to your network problems.

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:03 PM

I quite using the Ethernet ports in ups 15 years ago due to just what you are experiencing along with unreliability of the connections through the Ethernet ports.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users