Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is my ssd slow ?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 agent47v2.0

agent47v2.0

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:53 AM

Hi guys.

My first question at the forum..

I have a lenovo y510p( core i7, 8gb ram, single gt 755m). In my that i added a samsung 840 evo 120gb ssd to the port(SATA ^6Gbps) where  the hdd was and moved the hdd over to port where the ODD was.

i moved my os to the ssd using a cloning utility and am booting the OS from the ssd..

I have windows8.1 .. but  the OS takes 21 seconds to boot up from the moment i press the power button which is almost no improvement over the hdd.. 

but arent ssds supposed to reduce the boot times considerably. ?

i ran crystal disk mark and got the following results 

Attached File  crytsal disk.PNG   75.45KB   0 downloads

the results seem to be normal .. so can anyone tell me why boot up time is long or if it actually is long ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:09 AM

My guess (due to the model) is that your old hard drive was an SSHD, which means it has an ssd built in with the hard drive which might explain why your boot speed has not changed much if at all. SSHD's generally cache frequently used or loaded items, windows boot would likely be cached and so essentially you would already be loading from an ssd with the original drive.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:12 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834313740

If that is your model, and you have the 1tb SSHD, then this would likely be the reason. You may notice the new SSD will be faster to load games or programs that you don't use frequently from the old hard drive. The old SSHD would not be able to cache everything with only 8gb worth of ssd space. The samsung 840 is a good drive with good speed. The 256gb model is faster but likely not very noticable.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 agent47v2.0

agent47v2.0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:15 AM

Srry for not mentioning that b4.. my model doesnt have sshd.. instead it has a 24GB cache m.2 ssd ..

leaving the old boot times aside , isn't 21 secs too long for an ssd ..? i have seen youtube videos where win8.1 boot under 14 seconds using the same model of ssd..

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:24 AM

Were those 14 second boots from a fresh install? Things that are set to startup when windows loads will slow that time down a bit, such as anti-virus software, some cloud storage software (most actually have startup items), etc. Since you cloned your old OS, anything that was installed and set to startup may be slowing your boot times down. Differences in hardware and drivers can change boot times as well.

I suspect the windows OS was loaded to the 24GB m.2 SSD? If not the windows boot would certainly end up cached if you restart frequently, since caches keep frequently used items cahced. It is possible the stock SSD had similar read speeds.

You might try to install some of the optimization software that came with the samsung ssd. It may help your speed a bit. Your read speeds seem ok from the crystal disk picture, I am not sure how much it would help.

Edited by zingo156, 30 October 2014 - 10:31 AM.

#6 agent47v2.0

agent47v2.0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:30 AM

I regularly check the programs that start at boot  with windows using the task manager in win8.1 and keep them to the bare minimum.

i have installed samsung magician software that came with the ssd and i keep it updated regularly.

is it possible that the m.2 ssd slows things down ?

Edited by agent47v2.0, 30 October 2014 - 10:37 AM.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:36 AM

I suppose it is possible that the m.2 ssd is slowing it down. If it will boot and run without the cache drive, you could remove it and then see if boot times improve.

I will tell you this: my desktop (i7 4770k @ 3.8ghz) boots slower than my media center pc (atom dual core @ 2.0ghz) with the same ssd. Both have Sata 3 connections. I keep the startup items the same, no av's etc. The drivers and devices connected to the computer most likely are causing the difference. It isn't a small difference either, it is about 30 seconds.

My media center boots in about 30 seconds and my desktop about a minute. The desktop has much much more hardware, drivers are different between the 2 boxes as well. Smaller driver size would mean a faster boot. There are just too many variables to say this computer boots in 14 seconds so why doesn't mine?

If you had 2 computers with the identical hardware and the identical ssd drive, and had the same exact software on both ssd drives, then they should both boot in the same amount of time or close to. SSD speed can vary drive to drive, not by much but enough for benchmarks to pickup.

Edited by zingo156, 30 October 2014 - 10:51 AM.

#8 agent47v2.0

agent47v2.0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:40 AM

I suppose it is possible that the m.2 ssd is slowing it down. If it will boot and run without the cache drive, you could remove it and then see if boot times improve.

I will tell you this: my desktop (i7 4770k) boots slower than my media center pc (atom dual core @ 2.0ghz) with the same ssd. Even though I keep the startup items about the same. The drivers and devices connected most likely are causing the difference. It isn't a small difference either, it is about 30 seconds.

My media center boots in about 30 seconds and my desktop about a minute.

that is not normal.. didn't u try to find what might be causing such a long boot time. ?

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:49 AM

From a fresh install with no drivers other than the sata 3 AHCI driver, the boot times were very close to the same between the 2 computers. It seems in my case the drivers are the issue. After installing all of the drivers for the desktop, that is when the boot times go down. I disable all extra startup items and still there is a difference of about 30 seconds. I am not sure what driver or drivers are causing this, I never went as far as to test boot times after every driver install individually.

A minute boot time IMO is fast enough.

Windows 8 on the same desktop loads about the same speed as windows 7 on the media center. I only had a beta license for windows 8 so I switched back to windows 7.

#10 agent47v2.0

agent47v2.0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:12 AM

as  a last effort now i disconnected the user account that was linked to a online microsoft account, replaced it with a local account and redid the boot test and voila...!!! its booting in 15 seconds. (measured from the moment i pressed the power button ) 

i need such boot times bcoz i use my laptop at my colleg wher i can't waste time waiting for the system to boot coz i will be using it in between subsequent classes..

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:23 AM

Glad to hear you have that solved. Local accounts are always faster. 

#12 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:42 PM

You can trim it down even more with autoruns. Available on this site in the downloads section. Legit and approved.

#13 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:51 PM

Autoruns is awesome, just be careful of what you disable with autoruns, also I recommend creating a restore point prior to using it, just in case.

Edited by zingo156, 30 October 2014 - 12:52 PM.

#14 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:55 PM

yes, always create a restore point! And I generally look for highlighted items in yellow which mean that they are not present. Look at your logon tab and see what a third party software you have loading. Those will generally be the ones to disable.

#15 agent47v2.0

agent47v2.0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:58 PM

Will do.. Thanks for the input .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users