Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home network ideas - house redevelopment

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 aod_

aod_

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:32 AM

I’m doing up a bungalow I bought earlier this year. All the rooms are having extra power sockets put in, so at the same time I thought I may as well have some network ports put in as well.

I just wanted your thoughts on a good way to have this all configured / located.

At the moment, thinking of the following:

·        Main WiFi router / switch – Installed in loft – TP-Link TD-W8970 (4 port gigabit switch, Wireless N)

·        Living room – NAS -> switch via LAN port | PC -> switch via LAN port | TV DVR-> switch via LAN port (also Chromecast via WiFi)

·        Bedroom 1 – PC / other device -> switch via LAN port

·        Bedroom 2 - PC / other device -> switch via LAN port (if I upgrade to more switch ports)

Just want to check if I’m not omitting some obvious way of doing things / opportunities whilst I’m in the middle of doing this. It was all a bit unplanned, so I’m making it up as I go along. I’m not even sure what I want to do with it all, but just looking for ideas / best practise whilst I’m in the position to get stuff ‘plumbed in!’

Any comments welcome!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:32 AM

Where are you terminating all of the network connections?  This location also have power?

#3 aod_

aod_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:43 AM

Where are you terminating all of the network connections?  This location also have power?

They will all be in the loft, connected to the Wifi router / switch. There is power up there.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:12 AM

By loft do you mean attic? Does this loft have ventilation?  Does it get hot in the summer?

It is not advisable to put network equipment in ceilings/attics due to heat.  Usually you would pick a central closet to put network equipment in.

#5 aod_

aod_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 06:50 PM

Yeah attic. Its a high roof lots of space. The summers here tend to be around 25c usually a bit lower sometimes a bit higher. 32c max for about 1 or 2 weeks on occasions Average in the year around 14c.

I've read it can be a good place to put it due to the lack of wall obstruction so the signal spreads well above each room.

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:03 PM

Attic temps go way higher than the ambient temps you are quoting.  Certain building materials like gas filled windows, even some types of insulation can impede wifi signals.  That said it appears you have a good plan.  I just do it differently.  I use punch down blocks to terminate wiring in my house along with a rack for housing my NAS, camera security system and this allows me to place the router where ever I want.  Which in my case is a 2nd floor bedroom with everything else in the full height basement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users