Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about ip address settings and printer.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 02:43 AM

Hi Folks , i am trying to find out what ip settings need to match your computers settings in order to get a wireless signal on my Printer (Lexmark S800 series and it has up to date firmware and all updates).

I assume the physical address needs to match on both , what about subnet mask ,primary DNS suffix  , DHCP server ,  default gateway and mac address etc...

As you can see i'm very clueless about this stuff .

I have deleted and reinstalled the printer a few times , the TCP settings etc.. show o.o.o.o across the board.

Thanks for any help

Edited by herbman, 30 October 2014 - 02:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:13 AM

Does the computer connect to a wireless router? If you have a wireless router, assign the printer an ip address that is in the DHCP range of the wireless router.

The ip address of the printer should be different than that of the computer. For example, if your computer's ip address is 192.168.1.1 then you could make the printer's ip address 192.168.1.2 (as long as no other devices are using that address). Generally I use an ip that is outside of the DHCP range for printers and servers. Which means if you have a wireless router with a DHCP range of 192.168.1.50 through 192.168.100 then I would use anything below or above.

The Subnet mask should match that of the computer.

If you give more details as to how you connect your computer to the internet, I may be able to help further.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:38 AM

Thank you very much ,  yes i am hooked into a wireless router .  I guess i need to figure out the ip address range of the router first ,  i have not set anything manually as i hope the computer and printer can find a match  automatically through WPS etc.. but it's been inconsistent.  

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:02 AM

Since you have a wireless router, it would be best to connect the printer to the wireless router, and then you can be connected to both the printer and the internet at the same time on the computer.

To find out what ip address your computer has, you can follow these instructions: https://kb.iu.edu/d/aapa

Basically use CMD (command prompt) and the command ipconfig and find your ipv4 address.

After you have your ip address, you can then create a new ip address for the printer. If your current computer ip address is 192.168.1.5 I might recommend giving the printer an ip of 192.168.1.20

Then when you install the software on the computer, you can connect via tcp/ip by entering that printer ip address when the software asks. These instructions might help as well: http://www.technipages.com/windows-install-printer-via-ip-address

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:12 AM

Didn't even think of connecting the printer to the router , kept trying to connect the printer to the computer lol .  Not sure what cable i would need to do that as the router has mostly lan connections , don't see that option on the printer .

I will follow your instructions , thank you so much for your help , it's very much appreciated.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:07 AM

You can connect the printer to the wireless router using the wireless built into the printer, the same way the computer connects, the printer can connect. After the printer is connected to the wireless router, the computer will be able to use the printer.

#7 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:39 AM

You can connect the printer to the wireless router using the wireless built into the printer, the same way the computer connects, the printer can connect. After the printer is connected to the wireless router, the computer will be able to use the printer.

I am going over to where i can see if i can get this thing going soon , will keep you posted and thank you so much for your help zingo :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users