Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot open Settings or several other apps with Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Valentine9

Valentine9

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:12 AM

I have a Lenova Yoga 2 11. I have several apps that won't open, some are windows apps, and others are 3rd party.  I have done some research and followed several troubleshooting suggestions, beginning with a sfc scan, which resulted in corrupt files that could not be repaired.   I recently loaded a different virus protection program than was originally on my computer, and from some of my research, it looks like maybe the registry fix part of the program may have removed some files that I need?  Whatever it is, I can't get into the advanced startup, no matter how fast I hit the buttons after starting.  I would like to reload windows, but my laptop didn't come with a disk.  It's supposed to have a back-up installation on my backup drive, or be available from the support website, but I can't find it at either place.  I just want my computer to work again :)   I am attaching a screen shot of what happens when I try to open one of my programs...

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:57 AM

Try this ... http://www.resettoo.com/lenovo-ideapad-yoga-11-recovery-and-factory-reset-procedure .

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:36 PM

I have several apps that won't open, some are windows apps, and others are 3rd party.

So... what are these apps??

I recently loaded a different virus protection program than was originally on my computer...

What's the name of this new antivirus?  Can you provide a link from where you downloaded it?  Did you uninstall the original antivirus in the proper manner recommended by its developer?  Some antivirus developers provide a cleanup tool that should be used when their antivirus is uninstalled.  Not following the proper procedure can leave remnants of the previous antivirus which can cause conflicts with the new antivirus.  If you provide the names of the current and previous antivirus programs we will try to advise you accordingly.

...and from some of my research, it looks like maybe the registry fix part of the program may have removed some files that I need?

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaner.  Registry cleaners and optimizers can damage your computer and may even make it unbootable.  If your new antivirus has a registry cleaning component please do not use that feature.  Please read: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/540335/what-is-the-best-windows-tune-up-program/?p=3424951

Whatever it is, I can't get into the advanced startup, no matter how fast I hit the buttons after starting.

The F8 key to get into Advance Startup Options is disabled by default in Windows 8 and 8.1 so it won't work.  If you want to re-enable the F8 key then please refer to this article: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/enable-the-f8-key-in-windows-8/

I would like to reload windows, but my laptop didn't come with a disk.  It's supposed to have a back-up installation on my backup drive, or be available from the support website, but I can't find it at either place.

Modern computer don't come with recovery disks any more.  Instead, there should be a Recovery Partition on the hard drive from which you can restore your computer to factory condition.

In the case of your laptop, this can be achieved via a special feature called Lenovo OneKey Recovery which you should find on your laptop.  Please refer to page 25 of the User Guide for your laptop.  Remember, your computer will be restored to the state it was in when you bought it.  Therefore, you should ensure back up all important information.

In Windows 8 and 8.1 you can also perform a Reset your computer which will basically achieve the same thing as the Lenovo OneKey Recovery feature.  Please refer to this article on how to perform a Reset: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-perform-a-clean-install-of-windows-8/

As an alternative, you can also Refresh your computer.  A Refresh will allow you to keep all your personal data, however, you will have to re-install all desktop programs and any apps you may have downloaded from the Windows Store.  Please refer to this article on how to do a Refresh: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/reinstall-windows-8-using-refresh-your-pc/

As you can see, you have 3 things you can try.

Whichever you choose, Good Luck!

Edited by Agouti, 30 October 2014 - 01:11 PM.

#4 Valentine9

Valentine9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:08 PM

Thank you so much for your reply :) I am happy to report that after much rig-a-Marole I have succesfully fixed the problem!! My biggest hurdle was getting to the recovery, since I couldn't open my settings from the app on the Start page. I could get to it from the charms menu, but when I would click on Change PC Settings it would crash. I did get to the control panel from there, though, and then into Refresh and Recovery. I couldn't get the One Button Recovery to work, but I restored to a previous date (the first date I chose was unsuccessful, so I had to unrestore and try it again). I am not using the registry cleaner/fixer part of the anti-virus (Advance System Care Pro, which I have used for years on Windows 7 and Vista with no problems). So far everything is working great again :) Thank you again for your very helpful reply!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users