Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook.pst file disappeared in Outlook 2007

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TiminIndy

TiminIndy

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:59 PM

I tried to open my Outlook 2007 today and I got an error stating "C:\Users\Tim\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst cannot be found", so I am unable to open Outlook at all.   I have looked everywhere for the file and can't find it, and sadly I haven't backed this up since I moved to this computer over 2 years ago.  In folder options, I checked "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" and I unchecked "Hide protected operating system files", then I tried Windows search pane and even installed 'Search Everything' and was unable to find anything when searching for *.pst or .pst.   I did a search for .bak and the only file I could find associated with Office is OPA12.bak located at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\OFFICE\DATA.  I located SCANPST.EXE at C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12 and tried to run it, but of course it couldn't find the .pst file either.  I went to Control Panel > Mail (32 bit) and selected 'Data Files' , and it looks like the file was in the default location where I was looking, but again, I have searched the entire computer for anything ending with .pst

I don't use Outlook for my email, but I keep all of my contacts there and have added quite a few since I moved to this PC, so I would like to find this.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and Microsoft Office 2007.  Any ideas as to what I can do now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:58 PM

You might try browsing to the C:\Users\Tim\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook file and seeing if the Previous Versions feature can recover the missing .pst file:

http://www.msoutlook.info/question/690

#3 TiminIndy

TiminIndy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:29 PM

Thanks, but I got 'There are no previous versions available' at that Outlook folder.

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:42 PM

Try going one folder up and see if there are older versions of that folder.

Failing that, you might try a restore point as well. Outside of that, the pst may be lost for good.

#5 TiminIndy

TiminIndy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:16 PM

OK, went one folder up, which was Microsoft - there was one earlier version from 2 days ago, but it did not have an Outlook folder in it.  Do you think System Restore would have it in a restore point from last week?

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:20 PM

It's worth a shot. Although if that does restore it, it will be missing all emails from the past week.

Again, if that doesn't restore it, it's unrecoverable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users