Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Flash.ocx for HP Solution Center

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BananaSlug

BananaSlug

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 29 October 2014 - 05:47 PM

I have an old computer with old software (antivirus/antimalware always up-to-date!) with an old printer. I admit I am a dinosaur from the DOS days.

Last time I updated Flash Player, I said "yes" to the "remove previous versions" question which deleted flash.ocx from my computer which was necessary for HP C6280 All-in-one printer to run its Solution Center (nice GUI).  Nothing happens when I double click it.  I finally found an error message explaining it is unable to run because it uses flash.ocx, which is no longer provided by Adobe.  After digging around, one possible solution is to put back flash.ocx by downloading an old version of Flashplayer.

I downloaded the fp7_archive.zip from Adobe developers' website because according to one suggestion, FP7 was the last to use flash.ocx. Flashplayer7r73_winax.exe is for Win2000 and XP. Will it run on Vista?   How will that impact current drivers/files?  Do I uninstall the current version, install fp7r73 version and then reinstall the current version? 

HP recommends I reinstall all their printer software (circa 2009) which seems like an even bigger mess, since that is really old software and many updates ago.  I don't think that will help the situation because the issue is with flash. (I have tried all their updates, printer doctor, and driver updates, just not a fresh install.) I worry about installing really old software over current configuration (ie current Microsoft, Firefox, anitvirus/antimalware, etc). What programs and drivers will it affect? Only the printer software or are there potentially any other compatibility issues?

Which is the better option?

Thanks for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:52 AM

Hi,

Did you try running the HP Print and Scan Doctor?
http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL50849/mp-136589-1/HPPSdr.exe

Most of the time, the best solution to an issue such as yours is Remove/Reinstall.

You could use a program like Revo Uninstaller to completely remove all current references to your HP C6280 All-in-one printer.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/revo-uninstaller/

Make sure you disconnect the printer before uninstalling the drivers/software!

After you have removed all drivers and related software visit...
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3194498

Choose Drivers, Select your version of Windows Vista 32bit/64bit and click Next. (It looks like everything is the same between 32bit/64bit).

Create a folder on your desktop named HP Printer.

Inside that folder create 8 Subfolders. Name one folder Main Driver and the rest Update 1 through 7.

Download to the Main Driver folder: HP Photosmart C6200, C7200 and C8100 All-in-One Full Feature Software and Drivers.

Expand the Update Category, beginning with the first update download this update to folder 7.

Following the same sequence download the next update to folder 6, 5, 4, ETC. ETC.

Now it's time to install...

Make sure you do not connect the printer until you are directed by the installation media!

Start with the Main Driver folder, Install the software.

Then 1 by 1 beginning with folder Update 1 install the updates.

Sounds like a lot of work, but You should be up and running in an hour or so!

Best of luck to you and Please keep BC posted!

#3 BananaSlug

BananaSlug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:54 PM

Thank you for taking the time to reply!

Yes, I did use the Scan Doctor and the scanner works fine (however now I can only scan and print, not scan and save), using the scan menu on the printer face but that doesnt allow me the other options of sizing, determining name and location of saved document, or editting features - features of the Solution Center.

My questions remain regarding the impact of reinstalling older software on current programs and settings. Can you venture a guess?

Thank you, Old Rocker.

#4 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 03:47 PM

Hi,

I came across these steps you cab try...

How to Fix a Flash OCX Error

http://www.ehow.com/how_5084212_fix-flash-ocx-error.html

Otherwise...

If you follow the  steps I detailed for you there should be no problems doing a complete reinstall of everything.

The reason for all of the folders is to keep the updates ordered by the date they were released, saving you time by downloading everything you need at once and then install without an interrupt. Putting the updates in the proper folder will help you install in the proper order.

Best of luck to you and Please keep BC posted!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users