Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RichieP

RichieP

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 13 June 2006 - 03:00 PM

OK. You guys are usually the best for suggestions, so here goes.

Got a PC, about 4 years old, ms 6712 mobo.

Worked OK, then went ot switch it on and nothing starts up. A new PSU has been put in, still the same.

The video card is OK, just tried it in another PC.

Just taken out the RAM, all PCI cards and the video card, optical drives, and the BIOS battery for 20 mins.

Put the battery back in and tried it, still the same.

Not even any beeps to say "There's no RAM!!!"

Does that narrow it down to being either mobo or CPU?

Any way of testing either without putting them in another PC?

Cheers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stu G

Stu G

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 13 June 2006 - 07:16 PM

Hi

Is there power going through the mobo at all?, if not make sure the Power connection on the mobo is ok and it is fully connected to the PSU and other other cables IDE. Any black areas of the motherboard, ie burnt etc...?

Try it with no other PCI cards just your RAM and Video Card.

If there is no power at all, no light on the mobo maybe it is a faulty power connection on the board.
I would say it is hard to test without extra mobo.

Hope you get this problem solved.
Stu G
Ada95,Java,C ANSI,C++,C♯,ASP.NET,JavaFX!

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 13 June 2006 - 07:48 PM

Just a shot in the dark here, but do you have either DSL or a phone line hooked into this machine? Have you had any thunderstorms lately? Lightening often comes through the phone lines and can easily fry a mobo.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 RichieP

RichieP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2006 - 03:15 AM

The computer isn't connected to the 'net, so lightning not an issue. However, it was an extremely hot day when it was turned on and wouldn't work.

The light on the mobo comes up and all power is connected properly. The fans run fine.

I guess it's the CPU or board. Only way to find out is to get new ones :thumbsup:

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2006 - 08:10 AM

Well, it would probably be cheaper to replace the mobo first and see if the issues are cured. I found a mobo for sale on ebay, current bid $1.04 with 14 hours to go.

EBAY AUCTION
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 RichieP

RichieP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:31 AM

Found some for 4.99 in UK, but the owner has decided he wants to take it as an opportunity to upgrade.

Will DDR PC2700 RAM work in a different mobo such as Asus K8N Socket 754 Motherboard?

#7 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:21 PM

Hi, I'm not sure if you have already bought your motherboard. But, you need to consider the type of motherboard you are replacing, for example do you presently have an ATX or mATX, so that it will fit in your tower. Also, the same socket for the processor, so you can reuse your processor and cpu fan. And then as you asked, be sure it will accept the same memory you have, so you don't have to purchase more memory. Be sure that your power supply connector is correct, such as a 20pin or 24pin, to match with your new board. Just wanted to suggest these things, just in case you haven't bought one yet.
Hope all turns out well !!

#8 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:26 PM

Sorry, I forgot to respond to your questions about PC2700 memory, yes it will work in the Asus K8N Socket 754 Motherboard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users