Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Office Suite Best Choice

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:43 PM

After looking through several posts, I am wondering which is the best application to replace MS Office. I have seen a few suggestions, still I see nothing that will completely replace MS Office. I use office Outlook, word, XL, and occasionally presentation and PPS.

Here are the three suggested, none of which can replace MS Office.

Open Office (Apache)

Libre Open Office

WPS Office Free

Is there a better application out there that is safe? I had problems with peripherals working after installing Libre Open Office and uninstalled it, using System Restore.

Or along with any of these recommendations is there an  additional application that would provide the other MS Office functions?

All recommendations are considered and thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:54 PM

WPS Office Free would be my choice. I have found that files that choke on Libre or Open Office open fine in WPS. WPS seems to have the best compatibility with Microsoft Office.

#3 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:38 AM

Another topic, which I have been unable to re-locate, contained a link to WPS Office. I believe that link sent me to a bogas site and I ended up installing a virus. It came with an additional program to clean and speed up your pc. The reason I believe the link is the issue, because when I recovered from the virus's, and searched on wps office, it took me to a site list that seemed to take me directly to a website for wps.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:34 PM

When downloading any software from the web it is best to go to the original manufacturer's web-site, at least to start. You may be told they use a different web-site for downloads - sites such as CNET for example - but at least you are not likely to get deliberately infected.

But any time you download software, always choose the 'Custom' install method, not the 'Typical' or 'Quick' option. So much 'free' software today is bundled with unwanted software this will save you a lot of time in uninstalling the software you didn't want.

I use Libre office for a couple of things and it works quite well. I might have a look at WPS Office Free as John_C reckons it has very good compatibility with MS Office.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users