Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating a Windows 8.1 System Repair Disk

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:00 AM

Guys,

I've been trying to help my neighbor get her new Acer computer with Windows 8.1 set up. (I, personally use Windows 7, so I know almost nothing about Windows 8.1). One of the things that I wanted to do was to create a System Repair Disk like I did for my computer running Windows 7. Also, I wanted to create a set of System Restore disks so that if her computer crashed, she could restore it to the state that it was in when purchased.

I could not find a method to create a bootable System Repair disk. The Help file stated that there MIGHT be a restore partition on the computer's hard drive, and if there is, then a user could copy the restore partition to a USB device.

It seems to me that if the computer cannot be started because the Windows System has become corrupted, that a Restore Partition isn't going to be much good since there would be no way to access it. I would think that you would need a Repair disk to allow you to boot up the computer and gain access to the Restore Partition.

How do I find out if there IS a Restore Partition on the computer and how do I create a disk that could be use to boot up the computer in case of a failure so I can perform a restore operation, either from the Restore Partition or a set of Backup disks with a System Image on them?

Thanks,

Bob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:09 AM

Hi Bob

Maybe these tutorials will help You. They are all from here and I have used some of them with my Windows 8 computer. You will notice that one of them is for running recovery from the command prompt.

How to create a Windows system image in Windows 7 and Windows 8 How to use System Image Recovery in the Windows 7 and Windows 8 Recovery Environment How to use the Windows 8 System Recovery Environment Command Prompt How to create a bootable USB Flash Recovery Drive in Windows 8 How to create a Windows System Repair Disc How to use System Restore from the Windows 8 Recovery Environment

Good Luck

Roger

P.S. did You look under the Acer section of the start menu for a recovery disk creator program? I know there was one in my Windows 7 Acer L/T. I have no Acer with Win 8. And MS may have nixed that for windows 8 as my Lenovo doesn't have that ability.

So what I did was Clone the hard drive to a SSD drive VIA a USB adapter and then swap them. The Original hard Drive is sitting on the shelf in case I ever need to restart the computer clean.

Edited by rotor123, 29 October 2014 - 10:14 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:37 PM

Roger,

Thanks for the information. I will check out these articles. I didn't think that I was able to find any information on a System Repair Disk in the Help file, but I may have serched for System Recovery Disk rather than System Repair Disk and that's why i couldn't find what I wanted.

Regards,

Bob

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:17 PM

Hi Bob

Why Microsoft in its infinite wisdom keeps changing names is beyond me.

If those don't help There are some others that could possibly help.

BTW You will find a wealth of windows 8 Tutorials under the Tutorials here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/

Good Luck

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:17 PM

@Warthog-Fan,

As far as I'm aware, all new computers which come with Windows pre-installed have a recovery partition.  It is a hidden partition but if you want to see if it's there do as follows:

1. Log in to an Administrator Account.
  2. Either (2.1) Point to the bottom left corner of the screen and right-click or (2.2) Simultaneously press the Windows Key and the X key.
  3. The WinX menu will pop up.
  4. Click on Disk Management.

duXukqQ.jpg

5.  The Disk Management windows will open.

3XhNBIQ.jpg

Notes

1.  Please do not alter the partitions otherwise Recovery may not work.

2.  Disk Management can only be accessed from an Administrator Account.

==============================================================================================

No offense to BC or rotor123 but some of the articles on BC are outdated.  For instance, the 1st link on How to create a Windows system image in Windows 7 and Windows 8 cannot work because Microsoft has remove the Windows 7 Recovery tool in Windows 8.1.

As I see it, here's what to follow:

A. To create a Recovery Drive

Please follow this article.

Notes

1. What used to be known as a System Repair Disk in Windows 7 is now called a Recovery Drive.

2. In Windows 7 and 8 you had the option to create the System Repair Disk on a CD.  In Windows 8.1 you no longer have a choice.  The Recovery Drive must be created on a flashdrive.

3. If you want to include the Recovery Partition on the Recovery Drive you will need a 16 GB flashdrive.  If you exclude the Recovery Partition then you can use a 4 GB or smaller flashdrive.  Personally, I succeeded in making one on a 500 MB flashdrive.

B.  To Create a System Image Backup

C.  To Restore a System Image Backup

Lastly, I would advise you to use a 3rd party backup program instead of the one built-in to Windows 8.1.  I've seen complaints about it not being reliable.  I have no way of knowing if that's true or not but for something as important as this I'd rather not take the chance.  Personally, I use Paragon Backup & Recovery 2014 Free but there are other choices like Macrium Reflect Free.

#6 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:29 PM

Guys,

Thanks for all of the info and taking the time to post it here.

Bob

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 06:38 AM

May I also suggest creating a factory system recovery dvd set of your recovery partition. All newer laptops will have a vender specific utilty for this. Generally searching for Creating a Recovery CD. This will create a set of dvd's (2-3) of the recovery partition that you can boot from and reinstall windows and rebuild the recovery partition on a new hard drive should the original hard drive fail. Think of it as your Windows 8 factory install cd's.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:53 AM

Just for your reference, you cannot crate a CD/DVD Repair disk/drive in Windows 8.1. It can only be done using a USB flash drive.

#9 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:38 AM

May I also suggest creating a factory system recovery dvd set of your recovery partition. All newer laptops will have a vender specific utilty for this.

Not on my laptop they don't.  I have a Lenovo G500 that came with Windows 8.1 and there's no such thing.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:24 PM

Hi Agouti

My not that old Lenovo had this program in it. Have they done away with that too? In the past most brand name systems had some sort of program to backup the system, usually under the companies name in programs.

lenovo-rescue-system.jpg

Cheers

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#11 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:46 PM

My not that old Lenovo had this program in it. Have they done away with that too?

I do have Lenovo OneKey Recovery if that is what you mean, but as far as I know it doesn't create factory restore disks like my previous Windows 7 Acer laptop was capable of doing.

Okay.  I apologise.  I've referred to the User Guide for my laptop and read that Lenovo OneKey Recovery can also restore my computer to factory condition but I still don't see how to burn factory recovery disks.

Edited by Agouti, 30 October 2014 - 01:09 PM.

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:09 PM

I remember the Lenovo one key, I thought that was a button You pressed on start up.

The program above creates a image file. I am fine with a image file that I can put on a NAS or USB external drive

167 @ June 2015

#13 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 02:07 PM

The program above creates a image file. I am fine with a image file that I can put on a NAS or USB external drive

Here's a screenshot of my App's page.  As you can see there's nothing named "Lenovo Rescue System 4.0" or anything remotely resembling that.

tXbHkfW.jpg

#14 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:13 PM

Hi, I had to go look using the native Windows 8 interface as I spend my time in a normal desktop complete with start button and Programs menu courtesy of Classic Shell. However when I look there sure enough the Lenovo Rescue System Does show and no Lenovo Onekey Recovery so it looks like they changed it from mine to Yours.

I wonder if Lenovo still offers Recovery Disk Sets for a nominal charge?

Cheers

Roger

P.S. Is this any help for You

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht062597

STATEMENT DESCRIPTION:

Using Lenovo OneKey Recovery 7.0 to create recovery disks for your notebook from existing backup image file

Edited by rotor123, 30 October 2014 - 03:20 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#15 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:15 PM

Guys,

I've been trying to help my neighbor get her new Acer computer with Windows 8.1 set up. (I, personally use Windows 7, so I know almost nothing about Windows 8.1). One of the things that I wanted to do was to create a System Repair Disk like I did for my computer running Windows 7. Also, I wanted to create a set of System Restore disks so that if her computer crashed, she could restore it to the state that it was in when purchased.

I could not find a method to create a bootable System Repair disk. The Help file stated that there MIGHT be a restore partition on the computer's hard drive, and if there is, then a user could copy the restore partition to a USB device.

It seems to me that if the computer cannot be started because the Windows System has become corrupted, that a Restore Partition isn't going to be much good since there would be no way to access it. I would think that you would need a Repair disk to allow you to boot up the computer and gain access to the Restore Partition.

How do I find out if there IS a Restore Partition on the computer and how do I create a disk that could be use to boot up the computer in case of a failure so I can perform a restore operation, either from the Restore Partition or a set of Backup disks with a System Image on them?

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob

Here is an option

Go to http://store.acer.com/store/aceramer/en_US/eRecovery

RC0000001_1.png
eRecovery Media

The eRecovery media will recover your Acer system back to the original factory settings, including all original software, applications, drivers, and Operating System. Availability of eRecovery media on CDs/DVDs or Thumb Drive is based on your model.

Visit the Gateway Store to purchase Gateway recovery media. Media also available for eMachines products at the eMachines Store.

• Only one eRecovery media type is available per unit.
  • Opened software is not returnable. (Opening the mailer constitutes opening the software)
  • Referenced shipping times do not include the time needed to process the order. All Recovery Media orders may take 2 business days to process prior to being shipped.
  • Per Microsoft regulations, requests for Windows XP Pro recovery media are no longer supported.
  • Upon receipt, you have 14 days to contact the Acer Store regarding any damage to the media.
  • Recovery media is available for purchase for a period of time after the system is built.

To Get Started, please enter the serial number or SNID located on your Acer product and click "Submit"

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users