Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Writer Not Recognizing Dvd-rw's

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 carinsharon

carinsharon

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 13 June 2006 - 02:27 PM

I have a SONY DVD RW DW-D22A ...Its supposed to be a +/- DVD Recorder...I can play DVD movies just fine. It will even write to CD-R and CD-RW and I am able to view the contents on the CD's. In march I started using DVD's to back up my info and at the time I could view the contents on them.

Now the writer won't even recognize a DVD-RW. Everytime I try to write to one I get a message to put in recordable DVD. I can't even view the contents on the backup DVD's yet when you look at the DVD you can see where stuff has been written to it...

I'm at a loss as to what to do next. I even went as far as to reformat my whole computer thinking there might be some missing files keeping me from being able to burn a DVD.

Any help would be appreciated.

CarinSharon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 02:03 PM

Can the drive recognize and read burnt DVD-R discs and DVD movies ?

How is the drive described in Explorer (e.g., DVD-RW) ?

#3 carinsharon

carinsharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 05:54 PM

That is what is really strange...I put a movie in and was able to view it just fine...In Explorer it is recognized as DVD writer until I put in a DVD that I did back up with then it reverts to saying CD...I have 2 burners, the D drive is the DVD Burner and the E drive is my CD Burner...Both burners are supposed to be able to burn CD-RW's and the DVD is supposed to also burn a DVD-RW...

When I first burned a DVD backup I was able to view what was on the DVD...Now all I get is a message to put in a appendable disk...I made sure that I was able to add more information to the discs...

Whats really strange is I can still burn a CD-RW in the DVD with no problems...and I can view everything on the CD..

Could it be that the writing to a DVD capability is bad??

#4 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 15 June 2006 - 09:17 AM

Well, it doesn't read or write DVD-RWs.

Does it both read and write DVD-R or DVD+R discs ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users