Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 toshiba laptops now not charging, what is going on?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ibm8999

ibm8999

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:32 AM

Hi all

I am at a loss to understand what can cause this.

I have a toshiba laptop, model:  Satellite Pro L450-13M.

My son has a toshiba laptop, model:  Satellite L500-1XC.

First of all my son told me his lappy will only work on mains adaptor only; message from

battery icon is 'plugged in not charging'.  Googing presents a lot of info from forums on this problem, with some suggestions working for some and not for others. So no conclusion reached so far.

My lappy is used only infrequently, every 2 months or so - to keep it updated mainly. So I thought I would just check it today and was aghast to find that it would not charge!  - 74% charge and going down. When the ac adaptor is switched on the charging light only comes on for 1 sec. Battery icon says 70% with xxx time remaining.

Surely both laptops can't have bad batteries? Is there a clock inside batteries that counts down to the day it expires?

Please help!

Edited by hamluis, 30 October 2014 - 07:51 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:47 AM

They most assuredly can both have bad batteries. Especially if they are 3+ years or older. It may not be the battery though, there is a charging circuit in laptops that handles the charging duties. On some lappys it's a discrete board, on others it's part of the mainboard. Either way it's an expensive replacement if done professionally.

Check to make sure the lappys will run normally using the AC adapter. If both PCs work, then you probably need 2 batteries.

Edited by ElfBane, 29 October 2014 - 09:47 AM.

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:30 AM

There is number of things that can cause this.

Since this is happening to both laptops are you sure you didn't by accident swap power cables or batteries? Power adapters have logic circuits inside them and sensor wires telling the laptop it's cord matches the system, and checks that it has proper voltages and watts etc. If something doesn't match or damage occurs it might still power the laptop but will typically stop charging the battery. Are both laptops plugged directly into the wall or a power surge protector strip? It's possible a power surge did it.

Try Removing the battery and power it up. Go to control panel and power profile and change it to balanced or from balanced to saver. Turn off the laptop. Unplug the power cable and hold down the laptop power switch for 30 seconds. Plug the laptop back into the the wall power. Power it on and insert the battery. Check if it is charging properly.

#4 ibm8999

ibm8999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:06 PM

Thank you both for your replies.

I shall try what you suggest and will update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users