Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows not genuine, but it is?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fitzy04

fitzy04

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:17 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if anyone has seen this before. One of my users notified me of a message he was receiving on his laptop. I went to look at it and it read (not exactly but summing it up) that Windows was not genuine. I've seen the message before, obviously, when installing Windows to a computer before putting in the product key. I looked at the Computer properties and it said that Windows is activated. I clicked on "Learn more online..." to the right of "Windows is activated." It took me to a validation tool that is supposed to run and tell you whether Windows is, indeed, genuine, which it said it was. Anybody seen this before? Or know how to fix it? As of now, the only thing I can mark this up as is a virus, which I'm running a virus scan on the computer now. Just hope that it's not a virus. And if it's not, there's an easy way to fix it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 GrapeGravy

GrapeGravy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:20 AM

Usually the fastest way to resolve the "windows not activating/genuine, even though I just entered the key" is calling them up and demanding to speak to an agent right off the bat. Usually the automated system is trash. They'll in most cases free up (un-register) the key so you can re-enter it. Here is the support page

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929

Also just for refereance did you download windows from the Microsoft Website, from a CD via retailer, or download from a 3rd party website? 

Edited by GrapeGravy, 29 October 2014 - 08:23 AM.

#3 fitzy04

fitzy04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:30 AM

Well, the thing is that the laptop has been in use for a good while. I'm thinking at least 2 years. this is the first I've heard about this message and this user would let me know if something was wrong so it's safe to say that this message has been appearing, no more than the past day or 2. So it can't be the product key not being available. Plus, I can't find a way to re-enter the same product key or even enter a new product key. I'm assuming they won't help me if the computer properties is saying that the computer is activated.

I can't remember how his set up worked exactly but in our company, as far as computers go, if the computer didn't already come with Windows pre-installed, we install it using a CD from the manufacturer (Dell CD for Dell computers, Lenovo CD of Lenovo computers, etc).

Edited by fitzy04, 29 October 2014 - 09:23 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:39 AM

Use Produkey to get the Windows 7 key and then reactivate.

Edit: Windows is showing activated in Properties and at the same time it's saying it's not genuine? I have heard of this happening with avast antivirus and Vista.

Microsoft also had an update called WGA which phones home everytime the computer boots. Sometimes it gets wonky and will say a computer is not genuine when it is. If the computer does have WGA you can remove it with this utility. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 October 2014 - 09:58 AM.

#5 fitzy04

fitzy04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:34 AM

I can't get produkey to work. It allows me to install and unzip the files but there's no .exe file. There is one in the 64-bit version but unfortunately, this computer is 32-bit and when I unzip the 32-bit version install, there's no .exe file to run. Which is weird because I know I've used produkey before.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,641 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:49 AM

See if this one works.

I just downloaded the 32bit version of produkey and the exe file is in the zip file. If jellybean does not work, I can upload it to Dropbox and link to it.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 October 2014 - 10:52 AM.

#7 fitzy04

fitzy04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:39 AM

This is where you downloaded the 32-bit version of produkey?

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

When I install it and unzip it, it shows 2 files, readme and ProduKey.chm which looks like an informational page.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,641 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:22 PM

I downloaded this file. The exe is in the unzipped folder. What did you use to unzip. Try 7-zip portable and see if that works. If you want, I can give you the Dropbox link with all three files.

Did you try the jellybean keyfinder?

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 October 2014 - 12:23 PM.

#9 Go The Power

Go The Power

• BC Advisor
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:08 AM

Hello,

The best way to work out these issues is by useing MS tool MGADiag.

Download MGADiag (by Microsoft) from the link found below:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Run the tool by double-clicking on the file. Press Continue when prompted

When it has finished, press Copy then Paste (Ctrl+V) this into your next post please

Please also mention what version of windows is mention on your COA sticker (if you have one) but don't post the key.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users