Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Local Area Connection keeps dropping - motherboard issue?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 FrankJameso

FrankJameso

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:28 AM

Hi I have a brand new Dell Inspiron 5748.  It was working fine for about a month, but now there seems to be a problem with my ethernet.  Specifically, the Local Area Connection keeps saying the network cable is unplugged, when it's plugged in.  I know it's not a problem with my ethernet cable because it works fine on my old laptop and my roommate's ethernet cable didn't work on the new laptop either.  What's weird is that when I set the Speed to 10 mbps full duplex, the internet works fine.  But I don't think it's right that a new laptop has to run at slow internet from now on.

I have a Realtek PCIe FE Family controller driver version 7.89.716.2014, i've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the driver, doing a system restore, running the internet in safe mode, running malware bytes to make sure it's not a spyware problem, and tried all the windows updates, still no avail.

I've also tried turning off my computer and taking out the battery for a while then putting it back in and turning my computer on.  Still nothing.

Any ideas?

Edited by FrankJameso, 29 October 2014 - 02:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:55 AM

If you go into the Realtek PCIe device properties, under the Advanced tab, is the Energy Efficient Ethernet option set to Enabled? Try disabling it. That has been known with various Dell models to cause the issue you are having.

#3 FrankJameso

FrankJameso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:05 AM

If you go into the Realtek PCIe device properties, under the Advanced tab, is the Energy Efficient Ethernet option set to Enabled? Try disabling it. That has been known with various Dell models to cause the issue you are having.

I actually did do that the other day, but the fast internet still hasn't come back for me so i have no idea if that was the issue.

#4 FrankJameso

FrankJameso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:37 AM

Any ideas on how to make the fast internet come back?  And what else may be causing the issue?

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:44 AM

Check the Ethernet cable itself. Is it Cat 5e, Cat 5, Cat 4 or 3? If the cable isn't at least Cat 5, you won't get more than 10 mbs because the cable itself can't support faster speeds. It should be printed on the Ethernet cable somewhere.

Also, if you go into the Properties of the Realtek adapter, if there is a Link Speed tab, is it set to Auto Negotiation? Is there a Diagnostics button under that tab that you can use to try and troubleshoot the issue?

Another thing to try might be to obtain a USB Ethernet connector and plug that into the laptop. If you get faster data speeds that way, then it's likely the Ethernet NIC on the laptop has gone bad.

#6 FrankJameso

FrankJameso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:54 AM

Check the Ethernet cable itself. Is it Cat 5e, Cat 5, Cat 4 or 3? If the cable isn't at least Cat 5, you won't get more than 10 mbs because the cable itself can't support faster speeds. It should be printed on the Ethernet cable somewhere.

Also, if you go into the Properties of the Realtek adapter, if there is a Link Speed tab, is it set to Auto Negotiation? Is there a Diagnostics button under that tab that you can use to try and troubleshoot the issue?

Another thing to try might be to obtain a USB Ethernet connector and plug that into the laptop. If you get faster data speeds that way, then it's likely the Ethernet NIC on the laptop has gone bad.

It says Cat 5e.  Yea, it's set to Auto negotiation.  Doesn't look like there's a diagnostics button.  Is there any other way to see if the ethernet NIC has gone bad?  What else could it be if not a hardware issue?

Edited by FrankJameso, 29 October 2014 - 04:43 AM.

#7 FrankJameso

FrankJameso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:43 AM

And how could it have gone bad already?  This computer is new so it worries me that if it wasn't just a faulty part, I'll just ruin the next one they install for me

Edited by FrankJameso, 29 October 2014 - 04:44 AM.

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 05:15 AM

And how could it have gone bad already?  This computer is new so it worries me that if it wasn't just a faulty part, I'll just ruin the next one they install for me

If you connect another computer/laptop to the router/modem in question, using the same Ethernet port the laptop uses, is it able to get better than 10mbs? If so, then it's almost certainly the hardware on the laptop.

Perhaps the Ethernet cable got pulled or yanked while it was plugged into the laptop, perhaps a faulty NIC was installed. It happens. If the laptop is new, it should still be under warrantee.

#9 FrankJameso

FrankJameso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:55 AM

if the NIC was faulty, why did it just now start acting up and not right away?  thanks

#10 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:35 PM

These things happen.  :(  NICs can run fine and then suddenly fail.

#11 FrankJameso

FrankJameso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:27 PM

i see...

last question: do you sleep?

Edited by FrankJameso, 29 October 2014 - 02:58 PM.

#12 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:00 PM

Sometimes. ;)

#13 FrankJameso

FrankJameso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:47 AM

So I called Dell and they had me press F12 when starting the computer to run the Diagnostics test...says everything is working fine.

Could it still be a faulty NIC card?  What would it be if it's a software issue?

Thanks

#14 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:31 AM

Which diagnostics test or tests did you run? The pre-boot system assessment doesn't test the NIC. Did you do the Express test, the Extended test, or one of the others?

#15 FrankJameso

FrankJameso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:26 PM

I did the pre-boot system assessment.  It took about 15-20 minutes so i'm guessing that's the Express test?  Is there a test that does test the NIC?

Edited by FrankJameso, 04 November 2014 - 11:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users