Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 on SSD and HDD

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 slowmo9152

slowmo9152

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:50 AM

Hey there, thanks for dropping in to read.

Sorry if I was supposed to drop in to an introduction/1st post thread, but this isn't my first time on the forum, I just forgot my old acct. details and didn't feel like recovering anything.

Alright, so I just built my first pc. I bought a Samsung 840 evo 120gb SSD as well as a Western Digital Black 1tb HDD. I plan on installing my copy of Windows 7 64-bit OS onto the SSD to reduce boot times etc.

My question to you is: Once I have installed my OS to the SSD, how can I copy it to my HDD as a back-up in the event that my SSD dies?

I have never created a back up or anything of the likes and would really appreciate any advice/tips.

Thanks everyone!

Edited by slowmo9152, 29 October 2014 - 12:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:42 AM

I generally use an image backup in cases like yours:

To back up your programs, system settings, and files
  1. Open Backup and Restore by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Backup and Restore.

2. In the left pane, click Create a system image, and then follow the steps in the wizard. 18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:14 AM

Hi, an alternative would be to use a third party program such as Macrium reflect, the free version, and use that to create a full clone of your SSD drive and put the clone on to the 1TB HDD.

Providing the BIOS is set to always boot from the SSD, with the ordinary HDD as second option, all should be fine. Should the SSD die on you the BIOS will automatically ignore it and go to the operating system clone on the HDD. You may wish to create a separate partition on the HDD for the clone so that it isn't accidentally overwritten.

Nev.

Why all the fuss, I already have Windows 8. Three windows at the front, and five at the back since I bought the house.
Posted Image

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:59 AM

I have not used Macrium reflect but do know 1 problem with cloning in most cases, when you clone the drive, it must be done to a disk of the same size or larger. Meaning if you clone the ssd to the 1tb drive you will be fine, should the ssd fail, cloning that 1tb drive back to a smaller ssd may not work. I could be wrong, newer cloning software may be able to do this. I have only used clonezilla which at least for me requires disks of equal or larger size to clone to.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 SlowMO

SlowMO

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:20 AM

Zingo, I will forego the clone in favor of the backup method you suggested. Now, if I have my OS on my hard drive, how would I go about moving the backup to my SSD? Will it prompt me where I'd like to save it? Will I need a partition?

I've never dealt with partitions either...first build.

Edited by SlowMO, 29 October 2014 - 11:20 AM.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:27 AM

When you do the backup, it will prompt you where you would like to save it, browse to the correct location and save it. After installing windows to the ssd, follow the above instructions to create a backup and chose the 1TB hard drive for a location, (the drive will need a partition for windows to see it). If the ssd fails follow these instructions to use the image on the 1tb hard drive to restore to a new ssd or hard drive: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7702/restoring-windows-7-from-an-image-backup/

Here are instructions for creating a partition on the 1TB drive if you have not done so already: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/gg309170.aspx

When installing windows on the ssd it will require a new partition to be created.

#7 SlowMO

SlowMO

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:29 AM

Thanks a bunch, guys! Having optiona and knowing the difference is quite handy.

#8 SlowMO

SlowMO

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2014 - 10:36 PM

Alright guys, I'm back. I got my SSD in the mail and installed it into my PC. everything is secure and it is in the right SATA port. Installed the Samsung Magician program and AHCI mode is enabled, it's all green lights. HOWEVER, It isn't appearing in my UEFI BIOS (Asus m5a99fx Pro R2.0) and when I go to backup Windows, the only option I have is my SSD, but it's listed as a CD-Rom with only 37mb of free space.

It's a Samsung 840 EVO 120gb SSD.

Basically, I want to get it all installed and then back up my Windows 7 to it, then set it as the primary boot drive. Can I even boot from a backed up version of windows? Or should I use the Samsung Data Migration program to move everything over?

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 03:05 PM

Now I am a bit confused here: where is windows currently loaded? You may have to set the bios to legacy mode. The bios should be able to see the ssd as a sata device.

How do you know that the option you see that has 37mb is the ssd?

What you may need to do is create the backup image on the same hard drive you currently have and then restore that backup image to the ssd when you get the ssd situation figured out.

I have never had a problem seeing an ssd at a bios level so that is new to me. Double check your connections to the ssd.

#10 SlowMO

SlowMO

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 03:10 PM

The connections are fine and all the cables are working. I changed them all around and the connections to my cd drive and HDD were still fine.

I'm not sure about the cd drive/ssd thing. I ubplugged the cd reader and the same thing happed. Samsung logo labeled "EVO SSD" saying it was the D: drive CD Rom with 37mb.

Windows is currently installed on my HDD. When I made this post I had my OS and all my parts sans the SSD and I was too impatient to wait another 5 days to install the SSD before turning it on.

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 02:49 PM

Can you create a backup to an external hard drive? I would recommend disconnecting your main hard drive from the motherboard, and trying to install windows from a disc onto the ssd, when you do the install, follow the instructions to use an external drive image to restore to the ssd if you have the ability.

I still do not know why the ssd is recognized as a 37mb device unless it needs a partition. If the above will not work for you, boot back to your 1tb hard drive and have the ssd connected as well, then follow these instructions to add a partition to the ssd (WARNING you will lose any data on the ssd) http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/gg309170.aspx

#12 SlowMO

SlowMO

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 02:53 PM

Yea, I have an external 1TB HDD that wpuld work. So, I plug it in, backup my windows to it.

Then, I dc my internal HDD and clean install windows to my SSD(i can add a partition at that point), and then i plug my external back in and restor it? What do i do with thr windows installed on my internal HDD?

#13 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 03:45 PM

Yea, I have an external 1TB HDD that wpuld work. So, I plug it in, backup my windows to it.

Then, I dc my internal HDD and clean install windows to my SSD(i can add a partition at that point), and then i plug my external back in and restor it? What do i do with thr windows installed on my internal HDD?

Correct.

We will worry about what to do with the other drive after we get windows running on the ssd. Essentially with both the ssd and the 1tb drive connected both running windows, you will have 2 versions of windows 7 to boot from (ssd, and internal 1tb hard drive), we can edit the boot record to only boot to the ssd. That way you will be able to have both of the drives connected at the same time.

#14 SlowMO

SlowMO

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:33 PM

Alright, so I'm having a few problems now. I went to back up my pc to my external hard drive, and I got the BSOD. Then, when it restarted, my Samsung Magician client gave me the error "Failed to initialize logger module." It was suggested that I uninstall the samsung software and re-install it. I uninstalled it and restarted...the programs are still there, won't work, and if I try to uninstall again, I get another error

#15 SlowMO

SlowMO

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2014 - 01:16 AM

And now, on top of these problems, my video card drivers won't update. I click the program and it says try again later. I downloaded the update on my laptop that is wire-connected to the internet, use a thumb drive, install, and get a 7-zip CRC error.

Also, none of my games work. I open them, log in, and then they crash or report an error.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users