Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I disabled some services "the service cannot accept control messages"

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 elldee1112

elldee1112

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:49 PM

7-year-old Gateway notebook w/ 1gb RAM.  Just finished a reinstall of vista, hundreds of updates, SP2.  As I have done in the past, I went to Black Viper's site for his list of services that can be disabled.  I must have disabled something I shouldn't have, because now I get a "the service  cannot accept control messages."

I've tried running BV's registry patch that returns services to their default, but I get the Message when I tried.  Tried opening Services in Control Panel, and get the Message.   I'm afraid to reboot into safe mode and try anything, because at least right now I have my broadband connected, and I'm afraid if I reboot, I might not even be able to do that!  

I'd be grateful if somebody can help me figure this out - it took two days to reinstall the OS and all the updates.  

Thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 09:18 AM

Hi,

Since you have just finished a complete install and updating, you should have a long list of restore points created.

Try a system restore closest to the time prior to making the changes to your services.

Remember that any/all updates/programs will need to be reinstalled if you have to go back too far.

Despite what you may read on the web, it is best to leave the services installed with the operating system alone!

Some 3d Party services can be changed from automatic to manual, but you better know what you  are doing.

You can use the System Configuration Utility (MSCONFIG) to temporarily disable a non Microsoft service for troubleshooting/testing.

Once you find out that the system is not affected go back into MSCONFIG enable the service, then use SERVICES.MSC to set that service to manual.

Best of luck to you and Please keep BC posted!

#3 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 10:19 AM

Run "Tweaking's Windows Repair". It puts A LOT OF things in Windows to their default settings, Including the Services. The program even allows the user to configure the start-up state of those Services to the user's favorite start-up state. It takes a little bit more effort to figure out how but it's not impossible. You can GOOGLE it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

#4 elldee1112

elldee1112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:06 AM

Old Rocker, thanks for replying.  I can't do any of the things you suggest - I cannot open the system configuration utility, nor MS config.  I cannot view restore points, either.  Anything other than using my installed programs, no joy.  I was able, by looking at properties of services, and drilling down to "effective permissions," to see that all permissions for any user, even system, are disabled.  Thanks, from another old rocker.

#5 elldee1112

elldee1112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:08 AM

Willy22 - thanks for the link.  I'm downloading it right now, and will report back how it went.  

#6 elldee1112

elldee1112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:11 AM

Willy22:  No go - tried to install, and got The Message - "tweaking.com-windows-repair-aio-setup.exe.  The service cannot accept control messages at this time."  

#7 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:24 AM

Hi,

Please refer to this article and perform the System Restore action outside of Windows
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/194765-system-recovery-options.html

Best of luck to you and Please keep BC posted!

#8 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:03 PM

Then download the portable version of the program (here from BC) to a USB stick and run the program from there.

#9 elldee1112

elldee1112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:13 AM

willy22, I downloaded the portable version and unpacked the files to a thumb drive.  I couldn't find a file with instructions, so I clicked on Repair_windows.exe, and got "The service cannot accept control messages at this time."   Should I reboot iinto safe mode and then try?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users