Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xfinity motorola sb5101 modem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rhamaxis

rhamaxis

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:47 PM

I had comcast for a while but couldnt pay a payment and was shut off. While i had it they upgraded my modem to the 2 in 1. I lost the old modem and ended up paying for it. Now i have comcast and want to avoid renting by using the one i paid for is there any way to do that without taking it to the nearest office?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:48 PM

You will have to call Comcast, tell them situation, and ask if they will activate it for you.

You do need to be aware that the Motorola sb5101-which is a docsis 2-has been end of life since July 2013.

Comcast is phasing out docsis 2 models. You should replace the sb5101 with a docsis 3.

Your device's DOCSIS version number matters if you subscribe to Comcast Performance, Blast!, or Extreme.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/end-of-life-devices/

What Does It Mean When a Device is EOL or End of Support (EOS)?

An EOL device is any XFINITY Internet or XFINITY Voice device that needs to be replaced after being made obsolete due to changes in technology. Older devices, such as cable modems, were not designed to support the faster speeds and improved security features that are currently available.

For example, we have upgraded our network from the original DOCSIS 1.0 and 2.0 standard to the significantly improved and much more recent DOCSIS 3.0 standard. If you currently use a DOCSIS 2.0 device, you will not be able to enjoy the full benefits of our service such as higher speeds, improved security and better reliability.

In most cases an EOL modem means that the device's manufacturer has stopped providing support for the device. Such support usually includes firmware updates and bug fixes. On occasion, we will identify a device that is defective and is no longer suitable for use with our network.

EOL basically means we will no longer install the device, either as a new or replacement device. In addition, it means we no longer recommend that customers purchase these devices, whether new or used. It is also an advance warning that the device will soon need to be replaced.

Typically, if a device is identified as EOL, it will subsequently move to end of support (EOS) status, this includes all DOCSIS 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0 devices. This means that when a device reaches EOS status, it will no longer work on our network or be compatible with our network and/or services.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/end-of-life-devices/

You can rent from Comcast or purchase your own modem.

For a list of retail modems approved by Comcast go to the followning page and check the Only Retail Devices box (if not checked when you go to the page). http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Edited by Queen-Evie, 28 October 2014 - 09:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users