Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Operation Network And Other Failure

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Zen00

Zen00

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 13 June 2006 - 12:45 PM

Hello,

I run Windows XP Professional on my computer, and recently I installed Avast 4 on it to do some virus scanning and such.

After installing the afore mentioned program, my operating system ceased to be able to connect to the internet (running a DSL Modem from Yahoo). In an attempt to see if Avast 4 was the reason for this abnormality, I uninstalled it, but when I restarted my computer, it would now take several minutes to load to the profile select screen, and then several more minutes to load a profile. Once in a profile, the taskbar would not show, and I could not open programs, though I could access My Computer, Network Neighborhood (and my local network, though I couldn't share files), and My Documents.

After I saw all of this, I tried to do a system restore to bring me back to a point last week to fix the problem, only whenever I tried to use system restore, it wouldn't open too, and after a while I'd get a message that said that system restore could not protect my system, and to shut down and try again. I did this several times with no success.

Finally I resorted to re-installing windows. After doing this (the dvd-rom player would work with auto-load, allowing me to use the installation) the taskbar would show up again, but the load times for the profiles and to get to the profile select screens were still abnormally long. Also, system restore still will not work, and I still can't get a connection to the internet.

Right now I'm wondering, is there any way to make system restore work? And if not, what are the steps I should go through to reformat my hard drive and re-install windows from a clean boot?

Thank you,

Zen00
This space will eventually have something very cool to fill it up, but not right now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Computer Lifeline

Computer Lifeline

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2006 - 03:28 PM

If you've already re-installed the XP recently, there is no point of working on the system restore.

Make sure you get the network driver card driver installed correctly. Go to Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager. See if you see any red X or yellow ?. If you do, there is a chance some drivers were not installed correctly.

To do a clean rebuild, first make sure you back up all your data from your hard drive before reformatting it. THIS IS IMPORTANT!!! Once the hard drive is reformatted, you can consider your files lost or it would cost a lot to retrieve them.

Also, make sure you have the drivers for your devices. Get the latest if possible.

During Windows installation, you will be prompted to select which partition you want to install Windows on. Often you will see one big partition C. If you delete this partition and repartition your hard drive, the installer will reformat the hard drive's partition(s) for you. This way, you don't have any files from the old system.

Hope this helps.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2006 - 09:42 AM

A lot depends on how you reinstalled Windows (and where the actual error resides). A repair install woudn't necessarily fix the error if the error was in one of the settings.

If you're at a point where you can do a format and reinstall - that would be the easiest route. But be sure to backup your data!

After the clean install, be sure to update ALL of your drivers - chipset/mobo, video, audio, NIC, modem, etc - to the latest versions.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Zen00

Zen00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2006 - 01:21 PM

Thanks for the advice!

There is a problem when I try to do a fresh re-install of windows though. Whenever I try to delete the only partition on my computer (C:, 80k MB or so) it says that there are important installation files on that partition and it can't be deleted.

I don't want this partition, as it has an older copy of windows 2k server on it that I want deleted, as it's not necessary anymore.

Does anyone have any idea as to how I'm going to get around this block?

Thanks.
This space will eventually have something very cool to fill it up, but not right now.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:48 PM

Go to support at the manufacturer's site (the one that manufactured the hard drive) and find the download for the installation tools there for a new hard drive which will format your drive so you can install a fresh install of your op system.

#6 Zen00

Zen00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2006 - 11:29 PM

Thanks! And all I do is put in the cd and boot from cd-rom, right?

#7 Zen00

Zen00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 03:23 PM

All righty now. So an update.

What's happened is this, I bummed around for a bit, then finally got the stuff to make a Windows XP Pro boot/setup disk.

When I did this, I made six seperate disks with all the information on them (I downloaded the software from the microsoft site). Now when I use them, the computer goes to a setup screen and asks me one by one to enter in the disks, which I do, but on the fourth disk, I get this error message.

The file sbp2port.sys is corrupted.

Now it prompts me to hit any key, and when I do, the computer resets and I have to start the installation all over again, with the same results.

Any idea what is causing this?

Also, could I use a regular boot disk and format the hardrive using fdisk? If so, where do I download the software for this disk?

Thanks!

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 03:46 PM

Sounds like the file is corrupted. Well, that's obvious. You could do it again. But I never use those disks - not sure why you would need them. You should be able to set the BIOS your PC to boot from the CD-Rom, with the XP Pro disk in it. You should then be able to set the partition size and format it. Then the install should be pretty automatic. You need the windows key for the install - should be on a sticker on the side of the computer.

To get into the BIOS, you usually press the delete key while the computer is booting, but it could be different for some, so watch the bottom of the screen as the computer starts. Look for boot order. There are instructions in the BIOS, usually at the bottom of the screen or off to the right side, as to how to navigate in the BIOS. Remember to save your settings as you exit. You can reset to boot from the hard drive after the Windows install, and it's important to not restart the installation the first time Windows XP wants to restart your computer, so be sure to follow directions and remove the Windows disk from the drive after the setup!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users