Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'smart Heap' Keeps Saying Computer Is Out Of Memory

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 13 June 2006 - 12:41 PM

I have a 3 month old Windows XP Media Edition computer that apparently came pre-loaded from Sony with a program called 'Smart Heap'.

It has a tendency to throw up a window saying "SmartHeap Library. Out of Memory. Please free some memory, then choose retry". This usually occurs when I'm using a single program, such as one of the smaller photo editing ones and poof, I've lost everything! Yet when checking space on 'C' it says "File System NTFS ... Total Space 225 GB ... Free Space 213 GB".

'Trash' and 'Disk Cleanup' is run nightly and 'Disk Defrag' each weekend and all 'Anti-Spyware' daily.

I couldn't find 'Smart Heap' listed under 'Start-up' nor 'Add/Remove Programs. Then used 'Search' and still couldn't find it.

A very kind gentleman did try to help me and said:

(Quote) "Out-of-memory errors on Windows SmartHeap has no upper limit on how much memory it can manage, so the limit will be that set by the OS. Typically, though, the allocation process wastes some address space, and a process will run out of address space before (sometimes well before) the heap manager has stored 2 GB of data/objects. At that point you get an Out of Memory error. It's important to remember that wasted address space does not equate to wasted physical memory.

If you have an extremely large memory pool (more than 128 MB), or if your application is so large (hundreds of megabytes) that address space is short, you should set the SmartHeap page size to 64K. This will minimize wastage of address space. The default SmartHeap page size in Win32 is 16 K. See the SmartHeap Programmer's Guide for additional info. Note that the page size is a per pool value". (Unquote)

I'm embarassed to admit this, but I'm afraid I'm more confused that ever. Since I can't find the program, I surely don't know how to set any 'defaults' within it.

At this point, I'd really rather just delete the 'Smart Heap' program itself, if possible (if I can find it to delete it).

If anyone could help me with this, I'd truly appreciate it ... and if possible, could the instructions be geared to a 'newbie'?

Thanks so very much,
Mara
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 13 June 2006 - 02:11 PM

Mara, I see your thread over at newbie. I find references to Smartheap as a program by microquill, but I also see indications it may be a built in function of Windows. In any case there does not seem to be a lot of info.

How much memory is in the machine, and what program(s) are you trying to run when the error occurs?

When the error occurs, try opening task manager and see how much memory is being access. To do this, right click on the task bar and select Task Manager. At the bottom you should see "Commit Charge: xxx/xxx". Post those two numbers.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#3 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2006 - 01:03 AM

Hi Ddeerrff,

Egad, if it's a "built-in function" guess I shouldn't even be thinking of deleting it! (Maybe that's why it's 'hidden away' inside the computer from newbies like me - grin).

Thanks so much for looking at my original posting at the other site - it was lovely of the gentleman to try to assist me but there was truly little 'help' at the MicroQuill site for either of us to understand.

Oh dear, guess this is the time to confess that I thought the 'space' showing on C drive was the memory - hanging my head in embarassment!

Off to figure out how much 'memory' the computer has - but the glitch most often happens when I'm using Corel Photo House program (which oddly enough, is one of the smaller programs I use for photo editing - yet it hasn't happened with the bigger ones - at least so far).

Especially thanks for explaining how to get to the Task Manager - and although it may take a while (there doesn't yet seem any specific thing that sets this pesky 'Smart Heap' off), the next time it throws the window up, I'll post the information you asked for.

Thank you so very much for offering to help with this pesky wee problem,
Mara
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#4 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 05:24 PM

Hi,

After a morning of finally having to give up using my favourite photo editing program because it kept happening and happening, I can only hope this pesky problem is fixable - and thanks again for offering to assist me!

Nothing else was running on the computer except Corel Photo House (except the anti bug things running in the background, I suspect - or do they only 'kick in' when one connects to the internet, I wonder?).

Computer has ... 1gb, DDR 2 SD RAM, PC2 - 4200 (2 gb. max)

When I clicked on the task bar, it said:

Commit Charge: 392 M/2440 M

I don't know whether the below information helps or not:

When I first got the computer 3 months ago, loaded Ad-Aware, AVG and Zone alarm. (No problems).
Then added Corel Photo House and several other photo editing programs I use regularly (No problems).

And although I can't be sure (foolishly I didn't write this down), I think the pesky 'out of memory' problems began around the same time I started using SpyBot, C-Cleaner and Reg Cleaner.

I used Add/Delete to remove Corel Photo House and then reinstalled it using the original CD.

While I shouldn't think any of these programs would directly cause a problem, perhaps the above 'Commit Charge' info means I've got too much stuff loaded in the computer?

Again, thanks so much for offering to assist, Ddeerrff - and especially for the great clear-cut instructions - yipee!

Sincerely,
Mara

#5 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:35 PM

Well, I don't know if I am going to be of much help. I was almost expecting to see a small amount of RAM and/or misconfigured swap file. Instead I see lots of free memory and no problem with the swap file (sometimes refered to as virtual memory).

"Commit Charge: 392 M/2440 M" indicates the computer 'sees' 2440 meg of memory (RAM plus swap file) and is only using 392 meg of it. You should not be running out of memory.

How long has it been since the problem started? If it hasn't been too long, you may want to consider trying a "System Restore" to a date before this began. Some info on System Restore can be found (click here). Additional info about halfway down the page (click here). If system restore does not help, you can always 'undo' the restore to return to 'todays' settings.

Anyone else have any suggestions for MaraM?
Derfram
~~~~~~

#6 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:52 PM

Hi again,

Thanks for explaining what the numbers found under 'Commit Charge' meant, too! It's reassuring that I haven't over-loaded this poor computer, at least ... and please believe me, any help is a wonderful help and I really appreciate it, ddeerrff!

Off I go to look at the other 'Help Site' to see if I can track down the day I first posted about this problem there ... then subtract at least a week off that (because knowing me I just hoped for 'magic' to happen all on it's own for at least that length of time - grin!) - and see if I can restore it 'backwards' as you suggested. (Hope hope hope the System Restore will let me go back that far - shall read the info at the links you so kindly provided prior to attempting it).

Really do appreciate your kindness in helping.
Mara

#7 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:06 PM

Is this happening only when you are doing photo editing? And if so, are the photos being edited extremely large?
Derfram
~~~~~~

#8 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 12:11 AM

Is this happening only when you are doing photo editing? And if so, are the photos being edited extremely large?

Hi,

Come to think of it, it has only been while editing photos and yes, sometimes the file size is very large.

For instance, when I scan in a decrepit old photo, I use 600 dpi or even higher if it's going to be enlarged (most of these original old photos are dreadfully small to start with and I never ever work with the jpeg format, either).

I thought by only using one program at a time there would surely be enough space/memory on this new computer but perhaps that's the problem?

I took your advise, ddeerrff, and last night set the 'Restore Point' way way back to the first week of May (a week prior to the first time this pesky problem began). Too soon yet to know if it's 'fixed' the problem as I haven't been working on photos today nor likely will be until next week - but shall let you know.

Do you feel perhaps the problem is caused by a memory shortage, I wonder?

Thanks once again,

Kind thoughts,
Mara

#9 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 10:50 AM

Do you feel perhaps the problem is caused by a memory shortage, I wonder?

It's possible. All of the references I find for this error seem to occur when using an application that uses lots of memory; Photo/video editing and newer large games. Smartheap appears to be a memory management library that is used when programs are compiled. Not being a programmer, I don't understand what it does beyond that.

You've got what would normally be considered a large amount of RAM in that machine (1 gig), but if you are editing very large files, it *may* be a limiting factor.

Things to consider:

You may want to increase the size of your 'paging file' (swap file or virtual memory).
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308417 Scroll down to "How to manually change the size of the virtual memory paging file". Select 'Custom' and set both initial and max to 3000. If that doesn't help, you can set it back to 'System Managed size'.

Depending on the machine and if it has a free memory slot, you may be able to add another gig of RAM to it.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#10 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 02:08 PM

Things to consider:

You may want to increase the size of your 'paging file' (swap file or virtual memory).
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308417 Scroll down to "How to manually change the size of the virtual memory paging file". Select 'Custom' and set both initial and max to 3000. If that doesn't help, you can set it back to 'System Managed size'.

Depending on the machine and if it has a free memory slot, you may be able to add another gig of RAM to it.

Hi Ddeerrff,

Wow, you may not be a "programmer" but what wonderful help you have given me - truly!

And yes, there is a slot for additional RAM to be added so shall do that as soon as I can - but in the interim, will follow your above advise and change the size of the 'virtual memory paging file'.

Thanks not just for your help but for your kindness in providing a link to the actual webpage (I find Microsoft's website to be more than a wee bit daunting, especially when I often don't know the correct search term to use when hunting for something) - I appreciate this ever so much!

With kind thoughts,
Mara

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users