Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows defender

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mrs.faith

mrs.faith

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:54 PM

Good day.

I updated to avg av 2015 then my pc win8 got slower.

Is windows defender enough to remove avg and no need any av ?.

Thanks.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 30 October 2014 - 03:19 PM.
Moved to AV forum from Windows 8. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:25 AM

I am assuming you want to know if Windows Defender will be enough protection for you if you remove AVG 2015?  Honestly, you are the only person who can answer that question.

To quote quietman7...

Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your needs, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, availability of quality/prompt technical support from the vendor and price. Other factors to consider include detection rates and methods, scanning engine effectiveness, how often virus definitions are updated, the amount of resources the program utilizes, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs.

Common sense, Good Security Habits and safe surfing is essential to protecting yourself from malware infection. No amount of security software is going to defend against today's sophisticated malware writers for those who do not practice these principles and stay informed. Knowledge and the ability to use it is the best defensive tool anyone could have. This includes educating yourself as to the most common ways malware is contracted and spread as well as prevention.

Important Fact: It has been proven time and again that the user is a more substantial factor (weakest link) in security than the architecture of the operating system or installed protection software.

Source: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/

Personally, I am using Windows Defender and I have no issues, but then again I also practice safe surfing.

Edited by Agouti, 29 October 2014 - 08:32 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:05 PM

AVG is a resource hog.  It has 7 processes and uses 142MB of memory.

Windows Defender has a much smaller footprint, and uses a lot less memory.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 mrs.faith

mrs.faith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 06:47 AM

Thanks to all.

I switched to avast, It looks great and light.

Regards.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:06 AM

Good choice. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:59 PM

I updated to avg av 2015 then my pc win8 got slower.
Is windows defender enough to remove avg and no need any av ?.

Windows 8 integrates Windows Defender on Windows 8, a more robust version of Windows Defender (and uses that name) for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection. Although it uses the same name, it is not the same as Defender in previous operating systems. Windows 8 Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) and uses the same daily virus definition updates.

Since Windows 8 Defender includes anti-virus protection, it may be disabled by the installation of a third-party anti-virus program. Windows 8 Defender will remain disabled until the third party anti-virus has been completely uninstalled and then Windows 8 Defender needs to be activated if you choose to use it.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 mrs.faith

mrs.faith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •