Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 update hijacking my computer, no option to decline the install?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 aSILENTfire

aSILENTfire

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:42 PM

I am running Windows 8, and do not have any need to install Windows 8.1

It used to ask if I wanted to update on occasion, then it started asking every 2 days... Which I found incredibly annoying that there wasn't a "don't ask me again" option.

Now.. things have gotten worse, now the only options are to say that you want to install the update, with the only choices being if you want to install now, in 1 hour, 2 hours, of 4 hours..

Today I was playing DayZ, a survival game where I try to live for as long as possible, although I've never made it to a month.. and the nag screen came back.

I was not able to tab out of the nag screen to get back into my game, I have task manager set to be always on top, but the nag screen was over it and I was not able to close it.. I couldn't even shut down and had to resort to pushing the power button to get back into my computer without installing 8.1.

How can I stop Windows 8.1 from trying to force me to install it?

EDIT: even if I power off, after a few minutes it just keeps coming back, that computer is unusable at this point. Please help!

UPDATE: I've hooked up a second monitor and set task manager to appear there, now I've found the task "windowsstorepopupbox" or something like that name to stop the nag screen. I might try to use Comodo HIPS to block this from starting..

Edited by aSILENTfire, 28 October 2014 - 06:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:26 PM

Windows 8 major updates are no different to Service Packs in previous versions of Windows. It's essential for maintaining security to continue the update sequence, or you end up running a system that is vulnerable to exploits.

Microsoft explains it thus:

"We strongly recommend that you install Windows 8.1 Update or Windows RT 8.1 Update (KB 2919355). This is a critical update that is required for future updates to Windows. If you prevent it from installing or you uninstall it, you won’t get future bug fixes, security updates, and new features..."

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows-8/install-latest-update-windows-8-1

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 aSILENTfire

aSILENTfire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:46 PM

Well Windows 8 is still being updated. Windows Blue (renamed Windows 8.1) is a different operating system, yes?

Anyway.. Just a few minutes ago it decided to stop asking all together and instead of asking, it says "We are installing windows 8.1".

This is all done through the Store, which I have never used and thought I had actually uninstalled. I don't use any Metro apps and have no desire to. If this really is just a service pack update, the way they are implementing it is very unusual. 

Edited by aSILENTfire, 28 October 2014 - 10:47 PM.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:54 AM

Microsoft have changed the naming conventions for service releases over the years, DOS and early Windows used version numbers, WIN3.0. 3.1, 3.11 - 95 had OSR1, OSR2 - 98 had Second Edition Win98SE etc. NT used Service Packs, which continued on into XP/Vista/7, which inherited the NT codebase.

Win8 appears to be back to version numbers, and 8.1 is a maintenance release which includes feature enhancement, not unusual. Wikipedia expresses it thus:

"Microsoft's support lifecycle policy treats Windows 8.1 similar to previous service packs of Windows: It is part of Windows 8's support lifecycle, and installing 8.1 is required to maintain access to support and Windows updates after January 12, 2016. However, unlike previous service packs, Windows 8.1 cannot be acquired via Windows Update and only accepts 8.1-specific product keys."

Even though it may be implemented in a different fashion, the circumstances will be the same in as much as Windows 7 now cannot get updates without Service Pack 1, Windows 8 will not continue to receive updates beyond 30/10/2014. Refer to the Windows 8 Support Lifecycle:

http://support2.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?alpha=Windows+8

Edited by Platypus, 29 October 2014 - 07:57 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users