Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to access Win XP desktop from Win 7 laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GLaDOS

GLaDOS

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:41 PM

Hi all,

This is my first post to this forum. I was hoping the community here could help me troubleshoot a solution for what I am trying to accomplish. I have an old Dell Optiplex running Windows XP. I'm using this machine to convert videos for iTunes using Handbrake, since I don't want to tie up my day-to-day machines with the converting procecss. I'm also trying to save the hardware of those machines as I have a large number of videos to convert.

I am hoping to find a way to access the Win XP desktop from my Windows 7 Home Premium laptop. I don't have room on my desk for a docked laptop to be hooked up to a KVM with monitors and a keyboard. Ideally, I would like to have a shortcut on my laptop that would allow me to connect into my desktop. My initial thought was to use RDP, but I'm not sure if having the Windows XP desktop on the network would be a security problem. I had read online that a cross-over cable may do what I need, but am just looking for some confirmation of that or for any other suggestions or advice.

I sincerely appreciate your help and time. Thank you so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 compostery

compostery

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:55 PM

Hello, yes its quite normal to connect win7 to xp, and I have several that do. You did not say wether you want to connect wirelessly, or through ethernet which is by far the best way.

First thing is to realise that xp and 7 dont work through homegroup, so you will have to connect as if they were both xp pcs. By default xp and 7 use different workgroup names so youll have to make them both the same name. When you do that make sure the subnets are identical (which they should be by default) and the pcs should see each other. Share your folders and away you go. Do be careful and make sure permissions are also set.

Edited by compostery, 28 October 2014 - 09:56 PM.

#3 GLaDOS

GLaDOS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:43 PM

Hello, yes its quite normal to connect win7 to xp, and I have several that do. You did not say wether you want to connect wirelessly, or through ethernet which is by far the best way.

First thing is to realise that xp and 7 dont work through homegroup, so you will have to connect as if they were both xp pcs. By default xp and 7 use different workgroup names so youll have to make them both the same name. When you do that make sure the subnets are identical (which they should be by default) and the pcs should see each other. Share your folders and away you go. Do be careful and make sure permissions are also set.

Sorry for the missed details - I'd prefer to connect the two through ethernet cable. When I do this, will I be able to access the actual desktop of the Dell Optiplex (as opposed to just sharing it's file and folders)? Sorry if this is redundant, I just want to make sure I understand. Thank you for your help!

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:18 AM

This may help ... https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100730143933AA48aAi .

The process I think you are trying to do is this, "remote desktop over crossover cable". You can do further research for this by Googling that phrase in the quotes (minus the quotes, of course). 

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,318 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:41 AM

Do you have a router?  If so connect both machines to the router and use Remote Desktop (RDP).

To transfer files between the machines using a network share is the easiest way.  I'd recommend setting a password on the Administrator account on both machines, making the password the same on both then map a drive.

NET USE S: \\COMPUTERNAME\C$ /USER:Administrator

Replace COMPUTERNAME with the name of the other computer or its IP address.  You will be prompted to enter the password for the Administrator account to make the connection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users