Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help accessing files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 oreofudge

oreofudge

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:01 PM

Hi,

My sis forgot her password to her Toshiba laptop and sent me her HDD thinking I will be able to retrieve her files from it, is it possible to do so if I put it into a HDD enclosure and connect it via USB to my computer?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:48 PM

Unless her files were part of an Encrypting File System, you shou be able to freely access the drive.

It may be easier to reset her password.

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

#3 oreofudge

oreofudge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:25 PM

Thanks for the quick response, she only had two users on that laptop, her as the "administrative" one who forgot her password, and a second user with standard or limited access.

She already took out her hard drive and sent it to me (she lives in NC, I live in FL), so I have it and thinking to put it inside an enclosure and see if I could at least get her files back. I am sure she must not had anything fancy set up security-wise, just the regular user password protect for her files that set up lets you set.

Any other feedback? ;-]#

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:47 AM

Try it...that's the true test.

I believe that Toshiba notebooks employ a series of different passwords...some are for hard drive access, some are for BIOS, and so on.  The intellgent thing to do would be to access the Toshiba support page for that specific system...and use "password" as the search phrase for any documentation on changing, forgotten passwords, etc., IMO.

From what I've read, certain passwords employed by Toshiba cannot be circumvented in any manner other than having Toshiba do so.

Louis

#5 oreofudge

oreofudge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:43 AM

...true that Louis, I'll just go ahead and try and see where it takes me.

Thank you all! ;-]#

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:28 AM

:thumbup2:

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users