Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Laptop suddenly does not boot.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JargonGR

JargonGR

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:53 PM

Hello and congratulations on your forum!

My wife's laptop (Win 7 Home Premium) suddenly stopped booting to desktop and only boots to "Startup Repair" no matter what I choose through the Advanced Boot Menu.

Fro the Startup Repair Tool I get this details:

"Startup Repair has tried several times but still cannot determione the cause of the problem."

View problem details:

Problem Signature
Problem Event Name startupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 2

Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 25
Problem Signature 07: corruptfile
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.2561
Locale ID: 1033

I tried several "fixes" but none helps. Before I move to reinstalling Windows is there anything else I could try?

Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:46 PM

moved to Win 7 from AII...
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:55 AM

I would start with running a hard drive diagnostic...startup repair would not be able to overcome problems caused by a failing drive.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#4 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:46 AM

Hello there,

Do you have AVG AV installed as that might trigger this issue; found a similar topic here:http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/284733-win7-keeps-restarting-startup-repair-system-restore-fails.html

Keep us posted! 

#5 JargonGR

JargonGR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:24 PM

Hi all and thanks for the replies.

The Laptop is an HP X16-150EV (Intel Core 2 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, 1080p screen, Nvidia 9500m GPU, BD Drive), however, neither the HD nor the OS is what it came with. I have replaced the original HD with an OCZ Vertex 2 (I know it is not the best but it was free) and the OS was upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium from Win Vista.

The hard disk did not seem to be problematic after running the diagnostics from the machine BIOS.

Nonetheless, I gave it a good thought before spending any serious amount of time fixing it and since it only contained a relatively small amount of files that I needed to recover I went ahead and installed Windows 7 on top. Then I managed to copy and virus check all the documents needed. After that, I used a system image to bring it back to where it was 3 months ago (all software needed installed) so problem solved without really wasting a lot of time.

Additionally, I tested the HD with HD Sentinel and it shows 100% health and no smart warnings either. Anyway, the machine is used as a family PC by my wife and my son (7 years old) so who knows the kid might have done something by mistake so no surprise here.

Soon I will be finished with our Home Server and all files will be backed up there (+ external backups) from now on so I will stop worrying about crashes. As with most of us my main problem is "time-to-recover" with such crashes and a solid back-up strategy seems to be the shortest route to recovery. 

Again thanks for your willingness to assist and I am glad I found this great forum that I plan to use from now on.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:38 PM

:thumbup2: , nice work...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users