Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pc will not boot up

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:13 PM

HI,Well i do not know if i finally broke it but my WINXP OS is now officially broken this what happened.

To start with i was working on transferring what was on the first HDD to the 2ND HDD,but i thought it be a good idea to defrag the WINXP OS so there would be less to transfer it started out at 85GB'S then when it finally said it was finished it was down to 50GB'S but then it also said it was only 47% done does not make sense to me.

Now this where i probably made my mistake i deleted what it said could be deleted bad move on my part so this where i am today.

I shut down PC and rebooted or so i thought now it will not boot up and this is whats coming up ( \windows\system32\c_1252.nls).

I TRIED using the install disk as i believe there is a repair option on it,it asks for a password which i think should be the as the login password will not work.

Safe mode will not even come up also as i thought i might be able to do a system restore and take it back 1 day and save it no such luck.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:41 PM

The error message of "The file C:\windows\system32\c_1252.nls is missing or corrupt" indicates you have a problem with one of your key system files.

When you say "Now this where i probably made my mistake i deleted what it said could be deleted bad move on my part so this where i am today", please explain what was telling you to delete anything (Defragging does not involve deleting), and do you remember what you deleted?

Now, to start the repair process, you will need to boot from your Windows XP install disk and follow the instructions at this website:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830088

You mentioned trouble with inputting a password.  Have you checked to see if it was simply a case of needing to input upper-case versus lower-case letters?  Did you by any chance create a Windows password reset 3-1/2" diskette in the past?

Just found some info on a possible way to change your password while doing a startup repair from your Windows XP install disk.  Not sure if it will work, but it's worth a try.  It is Method 4 of 8 at the following website:  http://www.wikihow.com/Retrieve-Passwords-in-Windows-XP

Edited by Torvald, 30 October 2014 - 02:03 PM.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users