Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 roymin

roymin

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:39 PM

Hi,  My XP Home refuses to boot up.  I can change the boot order but when the pc is booting up I can pause the window at " detecting drives" and it shows as Channel 0 Master & Slave" None",  Channel1  it shows as Master & Slave  C\D & DVD,  I can change the settings but nothing ever shows in the Channel 0,it's always None. 

When I open the ADVANCED  BIOS SETTINGS the first option is "Hard Disk Boot Priority" and the setting is "Bootable Add -In Cards" (that remains a mystery to me). Next is FIRST BOOT DEVICE, that is set as C/DROM, next is SECOND BOOT DEVICE which is set as HARD DISK, next is THIRD BOOT DEVICE set as FLOPPY. 

I have never been able to alter the settings in the Advanced Bios Setting, not sure what it actually means but read somewhere that didn't have any affect on the booting procedure.

I used a repair disc to access the pc and to exit from the disc I selected Reboot and it did just that, it rebooted and the PC ran as normal, but after closing down it was back to "non start again".  Any suggestions welcomed,thanks Roy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:29 AM

I would try replacing the CMOS battery...then reset the default BIOS options...reboot and see if it returns to normal.

Louis

#3 roymin

roymin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 03:11 PM

Thanks Moderator, I have previously  carried out your suggestion, but still no boot, I'd like to send a screen shot of the Bios but not possible with PC not working.  I cannot understand why nothing changes in the bootup screen even though I change the settings in the Bios. The Primary Master & Slave always show as None , Could it be associated with the fact that the PC shows as Dual Boot, even though it isn't .  I've compared the Bios set up  on this XP PC and it's not the same unfortunately, I'm wondering if I could get rid of the Bootable Add-in Cards on the affected PC, if the bios settings would show on "Detecting Drives".  Something that is puzzling me , I cannot find any indication of my Hard drive title, I can see the titles of CD & DVD but not the hard drive, when I change the boot up order I'm using the description CD, DVD or HD, I'm wondering if anything is actually changing. If it will help you I can type a copy of the "Detecting Drives" window? thanks for your time, Roy  

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 03:21 PM

If you provide the system manufacturer and model data...or the motherboard manufacturer and model...we can probably look up the detail for the BIOS screens, which would help, IMO.

Louis

#5 roymin

roymin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 03:47 PM

My apologise Louis for not seeing your name, The pc has ICUTE on the side?  The mother board ID :- GIGABITE  GA-K8VT890-9 

D33006.   Thanks for your quick response, Roy

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:57 AM

http://download1.gigabyte.us/Files/Manual/motherboard_manual_k8vt890_9_e.pdf , Chapter 2 covers your BIOS.

For clarity...you replaced the CMOS battery with a new one...then reset the BIOS to default settings?

Louis

#7 roymin

roymin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2014 - 11:15 AM

Hi Louis, I've tried the HD in another PC, got a flicker,then nothing. Tried "command promt" and it appears as "Unrecoverable problems".  I've tried new drive and it boots up ( with the original settings) so it's a case of new  XP install and start again. Hopefully at a later date I'll try and recover some files from the original drive. To answer your question, I did replace with a new battery, tried a restart with the original boot settings, didn't resolve issue. Then I tried the different boot settings, probably wasting my time now I know the HD was at fault. Thanks for the link, I'll save that, could be very helpful. I'm grateful for your time and the help you have given me, I learned a lot.  Many thanks Roy

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:26 PM

Sorry the hard drive was the problem, but it happens to all of us...glad you were able to pinpoint it.

Kind words make the day more pleasant, thanks :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users