Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are the following updates safe to install on windows 8 systems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:50 PM

Are the following updates safe to install on windows 8 64 bit systems, by safe i mean:

a )Does not cause severe crashes, inability to boot or inability to receive further updates
b ) does not interfere with the runnign of already installed desktop programs and exe files
c ) does not attempt to force "upgrade" to 8.1

I should also like to know what they actually do, i can't tell if these ones are security related or not, they have a range of "importances" attached to them.

KB2975331

KB3000988

KB2976978

KB2995387

I could use knowing that before i try and install any of them, i don't like my compuer being behind on updates but i also want to avoid buggy or sneaky ones.
Thanks

Edited by rp88, 28 October 2014 - 01:52 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:27 PM

Just set Windows Update to install critical updates automatically and you'll be fine.

#3 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:19 PM

three of these are classed as "important" with two of those classified as "important" bearing the word "recomended" at the start of their descriptions. I keep updates on manual because i know letting it be fully automatic can cause problems, i check every few days(including every tuesday). Do you know about these ones specifically? I'm not sure if they are "critical" or have a lower importance classification, nor do i know whether these have caused
failure to boot/problems/forced 8.1 upgrades/ loss of compatibility with exisiting programs/blue screens/difficulty with next round of updates
for any users.

Edited by rp88, 28 October 2014 - 05:20 PM.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 06:41 AM

Leaving critical updates on automatic will not cause problems. Just don't let Windows install drivers. What do you plan on doing - asking about every update?

Please - just set it to automatically install critical updates.

#5 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:09 PM

Are these ones critical though, i can't find whether they are? If you can point me to a site which gives all the info about an update's behavious shortly after thye are released it wold be helpful, micorsoft's own site doesn't really say much about what (most of) the updates do, and with things tht have been happening recently it seems worth checking about an update BEFORE installing it.

Thanks for your tip about drivers, i will make sure never to let those get altered.

Edited by rp88, 29 October 2014 - 12:10 PM.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:55 PM

If you set it to only install critical updates then that's all that will be installed. Please, just do it and find something else to worry about :). You're really creating problems where non exist.

Edited by Allan, 29 October 2014 - 03:26 PM.

#7 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:44 PM

I installed two of these (kb3000988 and kb2975331) last night. Those went fine, i didn't install the one which was classed as "optional" rather than "important" and i didn't install kb2976978 either as it seems to be primarily for making update preparations before 8.1 (which i want to avoid). The two i installed haven't done any harm(yet), i don't think the other two are so important. I won't set updates to automatic (i prefer to keep in control of them and check every few days)but other than those which sound like they exist to perfrom updates to 8.1 i won't be so wary of them. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users