Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unzipping Zip File On Windows 95

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dobbin

dobbin

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 13 June 2006 - 10:55 AM

I have a zip file on my XP system that I want to transfer to my old Windows 95 system.
I can transfer it by floppy disc but it cannot be unzipped on Windows 95.
It actually shows up as grey on the desktop so I believe I need unzipping software.
I am a bit of a novice so please forgive me if I appear a bit unknowing.
Do I have to use some kind of software on XP to change the zip before copying to floppy or CD.
At this stage I dont wish to unzip on Windows 95, I just want it ready on my desktop as I wish to reinstal a programme I removed.

What do I need and what do I do?
Any help appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 MetalFX

MetalFX

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 13 June 2006 - 11:35 AM

Hi dobbin,

Its quite all right to be a novice after all we all start off as one. As for unzipping on Win95 WinRAR should do it. You can download it from the official site here and that should do it. If it doesnt work with 95 then just scroll down on the WinRAR official page until you find a version that does.

Hope this works,

MetalFX
- Hi Di Hi Campers. Welcome to the happiest place on earth. (Said with a big scarastic grin.)

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 13 June 2006 - 12:45 PM

You can extract it on XP and then copy it to a floppy, if it will fit on the floppy.

Otherwise, you need some unzip software for your 95 computer. I don't know what's available these days. I use an old program that I got with Systemworks years ago on my older computers. A lot of people use WinZip, and it used to be that you could continue to use it and it would remind you to buy but it still worked. I don't know if that's still true or not. It's $30 to buy it, free to try it.

#4 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 13 June 2006 - 04:57 PM

I have used this for years---

http://www.thefreesite.com/easyzip111.htm

I don't know if xp being ntfs & 95 being fat 32 or whatever will be a problem or not.

It is freeware.
If you don't like it,uninstall it.

#5 dobbin

dobbin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 11:13 AM

Thanks all of you especially Medab1.

Got the unzipping software and installed onto Windows 95.(used a CD)

Yup, it worked!!!

Brilliant, this forum is now firmly in my favourites.

Many, many thanks.

#6 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 11:41 AM

I'm glad things worked out well for you. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users