Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Concern of Upgrading RAM on Dell Latitude D630 (HELP)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Widow420

Widow420

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:21 AM

Dell Latitude d630
System
Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service pack 3
--------------------------------
Computer:
Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU
T7500 @ 2.20GHz
789MHz, 3.99 GB of RAM
70GB Hardrive

I recently upgraded from 1gbx2 to 2gbx2 and, well I guess ram does no justice anymore in helping computers
just a theory I read and heard from friends. applies to PC only? I guess no help if you 
if you don't update other stuff? or I don't understand. figured RAM "helped speed up process of 
opening/closing stuff. and possibly video gaming. computer ran pretty smoothly on the 2gbs ram. but I finally 
upped the RAM to 4gbs. I know you can replace intergrated video card but that goes into $$ I don't have 
but why is my laptop not really 
regognizing the new ram. runs no better than it did with 2GBs. says I have 3.99GBs why not a full four? 
I guess memory is CPU? or Hardrive. but someone said I need to upgrade my hardrive to a 120. and replace cpu, with a 2.50
or even 3.0 I'm like, still $$ might as well buy a new laptop. can anyone give a helping mind to what I do. I put in ram.
said
"Your system memory has changed, what would you like to do" or something. I'm unsure what to do.. so it runs right. their's three options. but don't recall what they are. any help would be most thanked!  :smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:59 PM

hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer!!

considering that your Lappy is windows XP, it may be time to consider a new PC rather than upgrading an unsupported XP machine. but i can definiltely understand not wanting to just de-commission a PC that should still run well with that Core2 in it.

RAM is a data hold area that is frequently accessed in a cache, to avoid hard drive accessing, which is considerably slower..everytime the PC is reset or powered down, the RAM resets and is ready for a new session to issue data to it for a temporary access channel. there are a number of options for you. you could consider a thorough backup of data on an external media and a windows 7 home premium 64 bit clean install which would wipe your hard drive clean. those windows licenses are around $100 though.  70gb hard disk space is plenty for a casual user that isn't storing massive media files and such. but most users  aren't comfortable with only around 50gb hard drive space free (windows x64 needs around 20gb itself and then needs another 10gb just to run in spec)

or, you could go with the windows 7 32 bit, which is fine also, and won't be so  demanding of resources like hard drive space and RAM. the 4gb RAM is  the maximum that can be read with a 32 bit OS system though and that is what you have so you will be fine there.

after a ram upgrade, XP alerts the user that the hardware is found and then asks for further configuration , at which time, it is best to go with the recommendations instead of digging a hole and throwing away the ladder (choosing options that the user later forgets and can't undo successfully).

the 3.99gb usable RAM reading is nothing to cause alarm, if it were 2.5gb usable or something, then we could dive right in and do some forensic analysis.

Upgrading from 2gb to 4gb with windows XP is a judgement call, my old xp machine hardly ever uses over 1.5gb so i never really cared to have more than that, but then if i ever did need it for a demanding software application, i would have it. the clock speed of your Core2 is really nothing to look for increasing, and i can explain why.  the higher the hertz, the higher the heat, which is NOT good in a laptop like yours or any other.

after everything i know so far, i think a windows 7 32 bit home premium clean install is the best way to go...and your Core2 CPU and 4gb RAM is worthy  of saving and will deliver plenty more years of enjoyable home computer use.

if the windows 7 license is a little over the cliff financially, the XP is still fine, but needs alot more maintenance and care now that it is out of support from the publisher (Microsoft). and considering that it is a dell OEM, you probalby have a restore feature built in that resets everything to factory defaults, you just need to get the massive Service Pack 3 file and keep it in a safe place on an external media if you ever need it. there is a topic here that covers just that, it should be right at the top of this XP forum

i would consider the options with what to do in order to keep the D630 useful if i had that kind of hardware.

ok, i think that is a great start, and again, welcome to BC!!

Edited by synergy513, 30 October 2014 - 12:33 AM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 Widow420

Widow420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 06:35 PM

Ah just what I suspected I had to do... go out and buy a new computer with a new operating system. Ill look towards that, for Christmas. for now Ill stick to low GB or MB spec games. since its only Core Duo 2.. but yes I read up about your'e GHZ increasing, thus increasing your temperature of the CPU and computer itself. and it is indeed possibly to fry your'e laptop. so I don't think Ill go the measure's of overclocking n screwing over my laptop. it runs fairly fine for everything else except large FPS programs, or games. .. anyways, thanks for the detailed explanation of what I should do or try. I did try to upgrade to windows 7 home premium edition I think. computer ran even worse. the video decreased dirastgacty I couldn't even open programs hardly. but I agree its about time I upgrade my system to a higher operating system if Id like to play games... any other opinions or such for a good cheap higher spec'd laptop, possibly a dell. that you've owned or had that ran superb for gaming. you've been of great help man so far, thanks! :bananas:  

#4 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:28 AM

the I3 hyperthreaded dual-core cpus are nice for laptops. , powerful but not expensive and cool running.  the newer ones have the intel hd-4600 built in graphics which are quite nice.i don't really know that much about laptops really, i mostly contribute with the desktop topics, but i see lots of topics about laptops overheating and shutting down...the worse thing is when laptops get a hardware malfunction, it gets pretty tough to correct, but easy to diagnose.

also, the AMD apu series processors (graphics and cpu in the same chip) are the sweetest deal for users that want gaming performance with their laptop, they are designated with nomenclature such as a10-5800k for example, and thusly, the higher the number, the higher the performance ...and cost.

ultimately, if games were my thing i would opt for the playstation or xbox consoles that were specifically meant for that. I see topics all the time where users want to increase game performance  on their PCs with this or that purchase, and it generally is an easy thing to do with a desktop, just remove this outdated component and install this expensive new component,  reconfigure and whammo, stars and smoke appear in a benchmark mirage. but the chase gets excessively expensive , pun intended.

Edited by synergy513, 31 October 2014 - 12:55 AM.

#5 LarsMac

LarsMac

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:55 PM

For the record, a Dell D630 can run win 7. 

I did it just to see if I could.

It runs fairly well, and even performs on some games with a level of respectability. 

I just use mine mostly for communications when on the road, and for photo editing. 

#6 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 01:17 PM

32 bit (x86) or 64 bit (x64)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users