Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions about buying a Verizon 4G modem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Marchboom

Marchboom

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:57 PM

I am running Windows 7 and use a Verizon USB 760, 3G Aircard modem. Lately internet service has really slowed down, with frequent disconnects and "unable to find website" messages.

Was considering buying a Verizon 4G modem and the tech guy at the Verizon tech help line said that I can buy a "certified pre-owned modem" ($110) and be able to keep my grand fathered plan (unlimited use). When I called the local Verizon store they said that I would have to buy their modem at full list price ($150) to be able to keep my current plan.

I'm assuming that a "certified pre-owned modem" is one that is certified by Verizon to work with their system. The one I'm looking at is the Verizon Pantech UML290 modem.

Does anyone know what the straight scoop is? If I buy a Verizon modem from Amazon ($43), will Verizon honor it?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:31 AM

If your account is married to the currently installed modem's MAC address, then it almost certainly won't work. It's best not to attempt to 'get over' on the ISPs unless you have a backup. By backup I mean a willingness to go AT&T or Satellite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users