Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All .txt files corrupted and nonsense extension added

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Muddd

Muddd

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:54 PM

Howdy -

My first post so please be patient.  I've searched google and the forums thoroughly and could not find anything on this.

I'm on Windows 8.1 x64 (clean install).

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.89  x64 (UAC is enabled)  Internet Explorer 11  
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
 Windows Firewall Disabled!  (using ZoneAlarm) 
AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2015   
Windows Defender                  
Antivirus up to date!   
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
Java 7 Update 67  
 Adobe Flash Player 15.0.0.189  
 Adobe Reader XI  
 Google Chrome 38.0.2125.104  
 Google Chrome 38.0.2125.111  
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````
 AVG avgwdsvc.exe 
 CheckPoint ZoneAlarm ZaPrivacyService.exe  
 CheckPoint ZoneAlarm zatray.exe  
 CheckPoint ZoneAlarm vsmon.exe  
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C:  % 
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

I started noticing text files with a strange extension just recently.  Instead of *.txt they have the extension *.txt.lgxojci.

Well, then I noticed every single text file now has this "lqxojic" extension.  So I downloaded malwarebytes and avg free (was using the microsoft one) and scanned like it's 1999.  Some things were found but nothing I could not otherwise figure out, nor anything with reported behavior like this.  

Then I wrote a batch file to recursively remove the strange extensions thinking this would solve it.  Well, I was wrong.  

Every single file's contents are either scrambled or changed to an encoding I cannot figure out (have notepad++ if anyone has suggestions).

Here's the contents of a file which was the start of a post on streaming motorsports links:

ÅüEµcì/Ã9WtyÕ:NíI»Oî-Cô>>Y~s
m/ðŒ…VK‰÷3B÷þ'­o®Üè¸Ø^f™)‰@q¾@ù¥'­Ö¹¿»—%èø´š&!Ò\±û Û>œµ×î~ñ£­tk4aÕ`sB¹Ú“ßÍOsÏÃÕ•Ê.¹ƒ|«á,¥D ²žÚ®”k²ÚÝ[
KVçd èÝ–J±–
OJ`:•°¥4E†<W×»tIˆÐ»Vû(+¿Xê6™€p‡çׯj^¤û¢ÑyŸpwÖ=êáúƒ¦Uh¤(r}#KtR'‰[bi£1n]n¼À}ç]¿Bc`åÇ$•Ms&Á91’?¶Á—nm––¹ªæŒÎØþÓ* ù‡b?Þ[x—½€ŒwNlÑáÈ;<4Öú:ù*ИTÇq˜ÿ.Õ{ø&iIK Ï0(Ì-æ$Ùÿ£ƒÒ`Êû½FûÌpcH_üU—AoO/¡Ð·‘ÃDw©è$„-4:vF耈¿uäeLîi–àšWÇÚ½ Y„w·
B*+?ø ‡6“Ýs‰òÜd]ÿA=ÙŠUvÏ¿Ò¢â-Ah鯎£Qbýþî99¢9©
iç_,^»ïÌ2ëujëkŦí¬]6-ï‰ÂnÏIÁß®×VÉn¸m!)0 Ûf …TùÏÀéõ…Mfp¥1kw¥˜)æø–{»6GQ,±4Hub¬L—Ê°
û+TÝk"îPZš+ O[¿`
Î,®ûµ_Ì© ³`Z6Èž/>÷ð.0òaÎÿÙ”„f•š‡ÙŸA–컚x5¹ÓºkÉò$2rá¥1ã6

Any ideas or need any more info?  You folks are my last resort for help on this so any and all comments appreciated. 

Cheers - Mike

Edit: I forgot to mention I've created small .txt files on my 4 drives to see if it is still active, whatever it was...  No activity yet but I'll keep checking them.

Edited by Muddd, 27 October 2014 - 10:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Muddd

Muddd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:45 PM

,,,,...../////;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;pppppppppppp;[[[[[[[[[[[[''''''''''''''''' ,    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users