Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High CPU Usage

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 visty

visty

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:29 PM

I have a program on my computer called "Symantec Service Framework" or "ccsvchst.exe" and almost once daily, it starts eat away at my CPU and I have to completely restart my computer to get it to calm down. It literally takes up 90% of my CPU and makes any game impossible to play. Also when I open task manager, I can't end the process because "Access denied". Please help me. Also I have windows 8 (i dont know if that information will be of any help) and I'm a complete noob at computer stuff so please guide me through on what to do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:53 PM

You can limit the service's priority to lower how much CPU resources it uses.

Open Task Manager, right click ccsvchst.exe in the Processes tab, and under Set Priority, set it to Below Normal.

Although honestly, any time a service or process starts eating up CPU cycles like that it is an indication of larger issues -- if you have Chrome installed, you might want to remove the identity safe plugin, as that appears to be a known issue with the ccsvchst service, even when the Chrome browser isn't open: http://community.norton.com/forums/symantec-service-framework-random-cpu-overuse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users