Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flight cancelled when “Al-Quida” Wi-Fi network became available

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:09 PM

A Los Angeles International Airport flight bound for London was cancelled Sunday when a passenger's phone picked up the Wi-Fi signal "al-Quida Free Terror Nettwork" (sic) that was emanating from a fellow flier's hotspot minutes before the United Airlines flight was set to liftoff.

After a concerned passenger notified a flight attendant of the network at about 9:30pm, the plane taxied to a remote section of the Los Angeles airport and was held there for three hours. The plane was searched as passengers of Flight 136 were ordered to power off electronic devices, local media said.

Flight cancelled when “Al-Quida” Wi-Fi network became available

This is way too funny,         :bowdown:       + 1 to the troll.

What's your funny SSID?

I have

Strike Force Raptor ( Its a police anti gang unit )

Edited by NickAu1, 27 October 2014 - 08:14 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:34 PM

I saw this report elsewhere and found it difficult to believe. And I still don't understand how anybody can believe that an SSID is a threat in itself. Because the SSID of our router is 'Begonia' does that mean we are going to open a flower shop ?  But it does make it easier picking it out  from 3 TalkTalks, 2Skys and a couple of BT routers.

React first, think later, if at all.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:41 PM

I live in a alternative life style area, To put it bluntly  it's mostly hippies around here, And as hippies do, They protest against things. In this case Natural Coal Seam Gas, Natural CSG

This was an outrage and we as the community wouldnt stand for it. Protests, sit in's,  blockades  and we won.
Bentley Blockade: Updates - Gasfield Free Northern Rivers

The bad guy's in this case were Metgasco, I have just changed my WiFi SSID to Metgasco-test-1, As the hippies are always looking for free WiFi when they see that, Well fun and games will begin.

Edited by NickAu1, 27 October 2014 - 09:42 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users