Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm in the dark here!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jasonrwoodiii

jasonrwoodiii

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:32 PM

Literally.....I really don't know what other forum to choose, but since my OS is Vista.......but this is not a Vista problem.

I need ideas....the backlight on my HP Pavilion died a while back, and I have been using a spare external monitor.  Now, the driver or whatever sends the data to the ext monitor port had died to.  Didn't expect that.  And now I need to know, is there any way to see again?  When I shine a flashlight on the screen, and if I put my nose so close it's almost touching the screen, I can just barely make out the desktop icons.  Hardly enough to do anything though.  Maybe a brighter flashlight and a second person to keep it on there but I can't think of anything else to allow me to move things to a thumb drive.  Nothing is life and death.....just favorte games, pictures, videos.  Just wondering if anyone knows of a trick to let me see enough to give my laptop a proper burial.  Safe mode changed nothing.

Thank you.  J

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:47 PM

Hello, and Welcome

It's possible the inverter board, if it has a CCFL for a backlight, has failed. What is the model number of the HP? If it is not the inverter board then it would be the backlight.

#3 jasonrwoodiii

jasonrwoodiii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:57 PM

Hi John, thanks for the reply.  It's a dv9000.  Bought new in spring 2008.

Already bought a new Dell with Win8, so really just need to figure out a way to get things moved.  Unless this inverter board is cheap then I guess I could fix but really don't need a spare with vista.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:13 PM

The inverter board is cheap but replacing the backlight can be a problem. That is usually fixed by replacing the LCD screen. The dv9000 had many problems including a class action suit. Does the computer have an Nvidia graphics chip? You may get some compensation from HP but the lawsuit was settled quite awhile ago.

If you google HP dv9000 reflow there are many hits. This may not be your problem though.

Edit: It looks like filing a claim for the problem is over.

https://web.archive.org/web/20110725190515/http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 October 2014 - 06:19 PM.

#5 jasonrwoodiii

jasonrwoodiii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:27 PM

Class actions...what a joke.  At least if they are anything like the stock purchases I got screwed on only to get pennies on the dollar while the class action attorney walked away with millions and the tool that caused the stock drop spent a short vacation in a white collar 'prison' and later returned to his own millions.

Sorry, was that a rant?    Thanks for the info.  I got 6 years out of that laptop, and the way software advances, it's a dinosaur now anyway. Shame though, that was a top of the line gamer at the time. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users