Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CCleaner

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Beaker77

Beaker77

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:09 PM

I apologise if this is in the wrong section. It is just information.

Up until recently, CCleaner showed all the startup programs including Chrome. The recent updates do not show any startup data for Chrome, the panel is blank. All the other sections are OK.

This has been reported to Piriform by a number of users including me and the message is that they are looking into it.

CCleaner does seem to include Chrome files etc. in the other cleaning options, but if one area of data is missing, I do not trust it. Perhaps the files now being shown are old  files and not current. Who knows ?

Edited by Orange Blossom, 30 October 2014 - 03:22 PM.
Moved to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:27 PM

Have you updated CCleaner recently? It may be there is a bug in the version you have. You can update CCleaner by

opening it and choosing update now.....or something similar.

There are older versions available but I have no idea what if any adware will be bundled with them. One site offering

older versions: Old and New Version of CCleaner Download - OldApps.com

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:56 PM

Have you updated CCleaner recently? It may be there is a bug in the version you have. You can update CCleaner by

opening it and choosing update now.....or something similar.

There are older versions available but I have no idea what if any adware will be bundled with them. One site offering

older versions: Old and New Version of CCleaner Download - OldApps.com

I have just  uninstalled CCleaner using Revouninstaller to clean out all the left-overs, then reinstalled CCleaner and still the startup data is missing for Chrome.

My CCleaner is V4.19.4867 the very latest version. As i said, other users are having this problem and Piriform are looking into it.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:24 PM

Sometimes bugs do show up. Usually they get taken care of if enough complain. It can be a bug that affects one group of

systems and not other systems.

If anyone else reading this and have the latest CCleaner installed and use Google Chrome, please comment if you have the

same bug or not....

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:40 PM

Just a clue which may be the answer.

I believe that the current Chrome versions are 38. Version 40 is due to be released on 7 November 2014.

All I do is update my Chrome manually if it has not updated automatically. Google have updated my Chrome with version 40.0.2202.3 dev-m, which has not yet been officially released. It is a development version.

If all the other users who are getting a blank for Chrome startup programs with CCleaner have version 40  like me, then a mismatch is to be expected. Piriform cannot arrange compatibility for a program which has not been officially released. If this is correct, then after 7 November CCleaner should show the Chrome startup data as normal. We will see.

However, if any of these other users have Chrome version 38, then it is a problem entirely in Piriform`s court.

Edited by Beaker77, 30 October 2014 - 12:42 PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:55 PM

From my experience not all Startup Management tools lists are created equal. For example I have found entries in System Explorer Portable which do not show in Starter by CodeStuff and vice-a-versa. Autoruns generally shows everything.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2014 - 02:05 AM

It has been confirmed by several users that the missing startup data for Chrome includes versions 37, 38, 39 as well as 40, so the problem is Piriform`s. Google are nothing to do with it, they have a top rank product to look after and develop.  Programs like CCleaner have to follow developments or bust.

My conclusion is that if Piriform cannot match Google on static startup data, then the rest of CCleaner dealing with variable files created by Chrome is highly suspect. I cannot see how a program can have a mismatch in one case and a match in others. Sounds illogical.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:55 AM

Just like with Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs), some of the information is mandatory and some is optional by design as some vendors write installation routines so their program will not be included in the Add/Remove list.

Only Piriform can provide the full explanation.

#9 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:35 AM

You are not alone, mine doesn't show startup items for chrome either. I am running a version that was available for download on 30th september ish.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:46 AM

Yes, Beaker77 already noted that.

It has been confirmed by several users that the missing startup data for Chrome includes versions 37, 38, 39 as well as 40

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users