Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows constant freezing, BDOS screen, driver issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny Jack Off

Johnny Jack Off

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:12 PM

Hey everyone,

For ages, I've been having these issues of my laptop constantly freezing, crashing, programs not responding, etc. Well, I've finally decided to do something about it.

SPECS:
Device: HP Pavilion m6
Windows 7 x64
AMD A10-4600M Processor APU with Radeon 2.29GHz
RAM: 6GB
Available space on the C: drive: 330GB

The current problem: Windows will not start in normal mode. Upon entering the login screen, it will crash and enter a BDOS screen reading, "A device driver attempting to corrupt the system has been caught." I have been having problems with perpetual freezing for months now, but it has never gotten this bad before.
NOTE: Windows will run smoothly in safe mode, which is why I have narrowed the most probable cause to be a driver issue

Steps I have already taken:

-Ran CCleaner with no issues
-Defragged the disk with no issues
-Scanned for viruses with multiple antivirus programs (Vipre security, Malware bytes, and RogueKiller)
-Have gone into MSconfig and have disabled all startup programs and all startup services EXCEPT FOR MICROSOFT services
-I have attempted to do a system scan several times, but it would always get stuck at 64% of verification scan, even in safe mode
-I have checked the Event Viewer. The errors that appear at the time of the two most recent crashes are:
1. The DHCP Client service depends on the Ancillary Function Driver for Winsock service which failed to start because of the following error: 
A device attached to the system is not functioning.
2. The DNS Client service depends on the NetIO Legacy TDI Support Driver service which failed to start because of the following error: 
A device attached to the system is not functioning.
3. The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: 
AFD
DfsC
4. The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: 
discache
spld

-I have attempted to do a system restore. It made no difference to the situation.

UPDATE: I have checked the device manager while in safe mode. There were no indicators . I'm not sure if that's because there are none or if it was because I was in safe mode
UPDATE 2: I have updated and repaired the ASUS network driver. No difference was made.

UPDATE 3: Figured out how to and added the 3 most recent .dmp files

Attached Files

Edited by Johnny Jack Off, 27 October 2014 - 02:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 29 October 2014 - 05:48 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:03 PM

tcpipreg.sys is the first driver to fail on the stack. This is a Windows driver and can often be repaired by running

sfc /scannow

from an elevated command prompt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users