Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer not exactly turning on - EVGA P55 200 Classified

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pricelessdev

pricelessdev

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:10 AM

Several months ago I bought a bunch of new hardware for my computer including a new motherboard, graphics card, and a computer case. I eventually got everything working just fine after I formatted my hard drive and re-installed Windows 7.

A few days ago, I left my computer on and walked away. My girlfriend called me over because my computer seemed to be acting very strangely. It was restarting itself. I figured it was just a Windows update or something. It was stuck on the bios screen asking me to hit F2 or delete or something. It does this whenever the computer is completely unplugged because the motherboard apparently loses its bios settings when I unplug the computer. So I just turned the computer off and decided to figure it out later.

The next day I plugged my computer back in and tried turning it on. It wouldn't turn on. The LEDs on the motherboard came on, but it wouldn't turn on. After some time, I heard the beeps that my computer always makes when I turn it on. I went to the computer to see it stuck on that same bios screen again. It is randomly turning on when it's plugged in, but it NEVER turns on when I hit the power button and I can't get past the bios screen. If I hit delete or F2 or whatever, it does nothing. It just sits there.

I suspect this is something with the motherboard (EVGA P55 200 Classified). I got it used on eBay. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this or how to fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 12:23 PM

Try changing the CMOS battery.

Edited by hamluis, 03 November 2014 - 09:24 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 pricelessdev

pricelessdev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:18 PM

Thanks for the response Arachibutyrophobia (that's a mouthful). I'll try this and let you know if it works.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:30 PM

I'll be around.

By the way, my user name is dc3. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 pricelessdev

pricelessdev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:55 PM

dc3, sorry about that. I'm obviously a newb here. So yeah, changing the CMOS battery did the trick. Thanks a lot!

Edit:

Nope, I spoke too soon. My computer booted up, but then shut down again on it's own. I came back to my computer off, after walking away for a minute. It seemed like it was trying to turn itself on. I kept hearing a click and the fan turn on several times. When I tried to hit the power button it would do the same thing. Eventually it started up again. Could there be a bad connection somewhere?

Edited by pricelessdev, 27 October 2014 - 06:01 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:07 AM

After building this computer did run properly when it was first fired up?

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post.

#7 pricelessdev

pricelessdev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:42 AM

When I first built the computer I did have several issues.

For one thing, I was trying to get crossfire going with my two AMD graphics cards. I was getting blue screens though so I removed one of the graphics cards and that seemed to solve my blue screen issues. I was thinking this may have something to do with the fact that the motherboard seems to be made for NVIDIA SLI, not AMD Crossfire. At any rate, I don't see how this would affect the computer turning off and on.

Another issue that I'm still having is the graphic for my mouse will sometimes be corrupted. It seems to happen randomly but I suspect it has something to do with my 5 monitor setup. I'm not really sure. It's annoying, but it's something I can live with.

And the last problem that I have is that whenever my computer is unplugged from the wall, the motherboard loses its settings including time settings. That has been happening since day 1, but this random off and on crap is a new development.

So last night after I changed the CMOS battery, the computer turned on and stayed on for about 15 minutes. Then it shut off and began turning on and off without any sort of pattern. Sometimes it would stay on for 3 seconds, sometimes 15 seconds, sometimes 10 minutes. I thought maybe some wire was just loose. So I took my computer apart and wiggled some wires around. I made sure everything was plugged in tightly. This seemed to solve the issue as I was able to keep it running for about 2 hours without any issues. Then this morning, it turned on by itself and started turning off and on by itself.

So anyways, I'll get that information from my computer when I get home today. Just thought I would give you an update.

Thanks a lot for your continuing help dc3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users