Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer (questions)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:38 AM

Let me preface this by saying I've never personally owned a computer and have used ones owned by others, so I've never personally upgraded a version of Internet Explorer to a newer one.

The computer I am running now, on Windows Vista, is using an out-of-date browser (IE 7).  I am thinking of updating it, but I don't know which version is best for Vista and I have some general questions, since as mentioned beforehand, I have no done it myself before.

Settings:

When an upgrade is made, will settings be lost?  Security settings, Privacy settings, and so forth, when you click on Tools (Assuming newer versions still are done that way).

Blocked Sites:

I know this could fall under the above paragraph, but I just want to make sure.  I've over time put together a pretty good list of sites to block cookies from (Tools > Privacy > Sites) and I certainly wouldn't want to lose that list and would want to save it beforehand.

Cookies

One of the most frustrating things is learning that cookies keep getting moved around and even hidden and you have to find them almost like you were an e-Sherlock if you didn't want to empty them all and only certain cookie files.  Will it still be in the same folder on the computer?  A newed IE version doesn't move it, does it?

Forced Upgrades:

A new version, be it 9, 10, or 11, won't leave having to be forcefull upgrading other things or lose them, will it?  For example Adobe:  in the past I have unthoughtingly just upgraded it, this time I more thoroughly read what I am agreeing to and I found three things in there I found so stunningly odd, I could not agree to them, leaving me unable to update it.

Miscellaneous:

Am I missing anything I need to address when considering an upgrade?

And yes, I know the constant battle between people always suggesting other browsers over IE, but at this time I choose to stick with IE for some reasons.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 451 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:37 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/secunia-psi/Hi,

The only upgrade version of Internet Explorer for Windows Vista is IE 9. I believe you must have SP/2 installed.

It should be available through the Windows Update Site. Check to see that "You receive updates" says "For Windows and other products from Microsoft". NOT "For Windows only".

If it says "For Windows Only", there should be a link to Install Microsoft Update. Click it, read and agree to the Terms and Conditions and let it install. The scanner will start fresh and you should be offered many more updates including the latest IE 9 for Windows Vista.

After downloading and installing, return to the update site because in some cases there will be updates to the updates.

For IE 9, your settings should remain the same as what you are currently using.

I recommend you open Internet Options from Control Panel and go through all of the settings to customize for your needs. If you want to return to the defaults....

Click the Advanced tab. Click the Restore advanced settings button, Click the Reset button.

When the Reset Explorer Settings window opens, tick the box next to Delete personal settings and click the Reset button.

Click Close on the Reset Explorer Settings window with the green checkmarks.

When you open Internet Explorer for the first time you may notice your Menu bar, Favorites bar, Command and Status bars missing. Also, your homepage will be reset to the default for IE.

Right click in the blank space at the top of your IE window and tick the choices you wish to restore. Type the address of your home page and when loaded, click the little house icon on the toolbar and set your homepage there. You can also open Internet Properties from Control Panel and on the General tab enter the address of your desired homepage. Click Apply and OK to close.

The only other suggestion I have for you is to do a search for EMET 4.1 Download and Install to your system. Use the recommended settings, and you will add another layer of protection to your system.

You can download and install Secunia PSI to keep programs such as Adobe and others up to date.

Best of luck and Please keep BC posted!

Edited by old rocker, 27 October 2014 - 10:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users