Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer has become really and i mean REALLY slow

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Iceviking

Iceviking

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:56 AM

The initial problem I had was a crash to a white screen caused by an error in the most recent Nvidia graphics update. 

The message said something about how the driver was the cause of the crash and now it has recovered.

I set out to uninstall the Nvidia drivers using DDU, but when I tried to reinstall the new drivers I got an error message saying the install wouldn't work because I was missing NV12.dll 

I wasn't able to fix the missing the NV12.dll issue to finally ended up restoring to a point about a week ago.

I noticed the Nvidia applications and drivers were then reinstalled as well.

The problem is now my computer is really slow.    On start up I can see the 4 dots that are the beginning of the windows flag logo grow almost per pixel.

It seems that anything that is related to a graphics issue is the worst.    

Changing windows sizes is slow whether they are minimizing or maximizing or closing.

I've also attached a "gpu tech" screen shot.

I'm a lost ball in tall weeds today so I'm really hoping someone can talk me through this.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to get this far.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name MIKESMSI
System Manufacturer MSI
System Model MS-7582
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel® Core™ i7 CPU         860  @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. V1.5, 3/2/2011
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name MIKESMSI\7empes7
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.99 GB
Available Physical Memory 5.15 GB
Total Virtual Memory 16.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 12.6 GB
Page File Space 7.99 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Attached Files

• Attached File  gpu.gif   30.57KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:04 AM

Hi,

Try this...

First... Visit: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/78873/en-us and download the GeForce Game Ready Driver version 344.48 WHQL (306.00MB)

Issue
On all supported versions of Microsoft Windows, uninstalling the NVIDIA driver using the Windows Device Manager may not remove associated files or applications.
Explanation
Microsoft has confirmed that this behavior is by design. If you wish to uninstall the NVIDIA driver, it is recommended that you do so using Add and Remove programs.

See the Microsoft KB article 2278714.

Uninstalling Drivers Using Device Manager is not Supported
Do not Use Windows Rollback for Graphics Drivers
To reinstall a previous or older NVIDIA graphics driver, do not use the Windows rollback feature. This method will not reliably restore all the previous driver files.
Instead, use the Windows Add and Remove programs to remove the current driver, and then install the older driver using setup.exe.

After installation and reboot, launch Disk Cleanup (Click Start, Enter disk cleanup in the Search program and files window. Right click Disk Cleanup in the list and click Run as administrator. The app will check your computer for unnecessary items and give you a window to select and remove the items. If the system is still performing poorly please post back for the next steps.

Best of luck and Please keep BC posted

#3 Iceviking

Iceviking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:00 AM

Ok.   I was able to download and install the current drivers.   Thats an improvement.    I couldn't before.

Installation seemed to be uneventful.    Tried to start a program that uses a light amount of graphics and immediately got a new problem.    Error popped up saying it was unable to create a direct x something

Doing clean up now

#4 Iceviking

Iceviking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:25 AM

Clean Up is done.    Going to try to start another program to see if the direct x error comes up again

#5 Iceviking

Iceviking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:28 AM

ok same program worked this time

#6 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:56 AM

How is overall performance... Any better?

#7 Iceviking

Iceviking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 12:19 PM

Reinstalling the drivers seems to have helped with most of the graphics issues and it seems to be working.    But there are a lot of odd things that are happening I've never seen before.     Google Chrome is really messed up.     Cap locks was running backwards and screwing up my password logins.    I unhooked all the extra HID related equipment but I'm still getting some weird results to common inputs.

Click on a blank and some of the page highlights.     Stuff like that.    Sometimes no always and not on every site.    Didn't do it here when I was logging in.

Drop down menus show up but are empty.    

#8 Iceviking

Iceviking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 12:23 PM

I used the "tweaking.com" software and that seemed to help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users