Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Urgent! Remove Windows 8.1 and go back to Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MrDuck

MrDuck

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:24 PM

I don't know if this is the right forum or not. Windows 8.1 installed itself on my computer without my permission. I want to remove it and go back to Windows 8. My computer had Windows 8 previously.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 26 October 2014 - 11:25 PM.
Moved to Windows 8 forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaylagarcia

kaylagarcia

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 12:14 AM

Dissimilar old versions of Windows, 8 and 8.1 include simple, quick tools to found USB system-recovery drives. You can then use one to repair your system or renew it to factory condition, even if Windows itself has become unbootable.

#3 Zeljko92

Zeljko92

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:36 AM

Actually WIndows 8,1 is just an update to a WINDOWS 8 with a lot improvements and fixes and minor changes with how Graphical user interface works, it installed itself during windows update and there really is no need to remove it. Except if you have some problems with it. BUt if you want to remove it really than you have to go to windows update, than click installed updates and find update named KB 2919355 and than remove it. That should revert back to windows 8 in many cases.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:53 AM

I am afraid you may be out of luck going back to Windows 8. You will need Windows 8.1 to get the update to Windows 10 which should be a free update.

See the following link.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1183043-caution-you-may-lose-resetrefresh-if-you-upgrade-to-windows-81/

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:46 PM

You will need Windows 8.1 to get the update to Windows 10 which should be a free update.

John, can you say where you got this information? (The text in bold is my doing).

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:56 PM

This was more of leak than an actual confirmation but I believe Microsoft will offer Windows 8.1 users a free upgrade and Windows 7 users a low cost upgrade but that's just my opinion. Not sure about OEM systems though. It looks like those will not be covered. Hopefully Microsoft will do those for a small fee.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2688806/leaker-claims-only-some-windows-8-1-users-will-get-free-windows-9-upgrades.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users